No announcement yet.

Options for rebooting Roamio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With no promises expected, could that be repaired without affecting programs? (I don't believe I can turn off top-bar suggestions, which in theory may possibly stop the cycle.) Anyway, at worst I have a static VCR, lol.

In any case, thanks for your help, guys.

Comment

Sorry to say, no, we wouldn't be able to repair just that and save the programs. With a Roamio, it's really all-or-nothing. And if "all" isn't in perfect shape, it's nothing.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The very same thing

Originally posted by TishTash View Post
        With no promises expected, could that be repaired without affecting programs? (I don't believe I can turn off top-bar suggestions, which in theory may possibly stop the cycle.) Anyway, at worst I have a static VCR, lol.

In any case, thanks for your help, guys.
        As I stated earlier we have the EXACT same situation/Problem. After reading all of your posts, back & forths with the weaknees guy I unplugged my TiVo from its current location and put it in a spot I could connect to Ethernet. Connected it to Ethernet and it seemed like that worked. It stayed on and I connected to TiVo and got my program info ect and I was thrilled. So I determined that it was the internal wifi connection setup that had caused all of the problem. Well like you I spoke too soon. I left it running connected to Ethernet and after awhile it did the reboot thing. Darn!!! I called weaknees and they seem to be pretty sure it is a hard drive problem. I told the guy that I talked to that my warranty had just expired a couple of months ago. He said "well that would make your drives 3 years old". And I told him yes, my TiVo was about 39 months old. He told me that the average lifetime of a TiVo hard drive was 3 years. WHAT?? I have TiVos that are over 11 and 12 years old with original hard drives. He said I had been lucky. It kind of makes spending a lot of money for a upgraded TiVo with huge storage pointless if you lose your saved programs every three years. I'm still looking for an answer to my problem but I fear that sending it in for repair is my only option. But it still seems strange to me that when it is hooked up through Ethernet it stays on so much longer before rebooting. If you find an answer to this problem please post it.
        Ps: guess I will have to give up being a program hoarder.😢

Comment

Originally posted by Sharbea View Post
          As I stated earlier we have the EXACT same situation/Problem.
          Well, you just eliminated for me the possibility that Ethernet would work (the only option I hadn't tried). It appears that changing the mode of internet access buys some time, for whatever reason.

It's odd that you and I seem to have the exact same issue. What capacity of storage do you have?

Comment

I have a 4TB internal and 4 TB external. Haven't had any issues with it, although for the past couple of weeks in the morning all 6 tuners would be on the same channel. Indicating that the TiVo did a restart during the night. I guess. I have looked on a lot of places online and didn't see anyone else with this exact problem. But there were a lot of restart issues in older tivos. I keep hanging on trying to find an answer because as I stated earlier I am pretty sure if I send it in for repair I will lose everything. They should have an option where you could hook up a drive to the rear of the TiVo to get your programs off. They have the deal now where you can go online and transfer programs out of one TiVo into another TiVo like if you bought a new one and wanted to save programs. But I can not stay online. Please Let me know if you have any luck finding a solution to this problem. I appreciate you communicating back with me. Good luck.
            PS: Actually when I had Ethernet connected I was able to be online through my home wifi long enough to transfer a program to another TiVo. I will probably try that again to try and save some stuff that is special to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TishTash View Post
              Well, you just eliminated for me the possibility that Ethernet would work (the only option I hadn't tried). It appears that changing the mode of internet access buys some time, for whatever reason.

It's odd that you and I seem to have the exact same issue. What capacity of storage do you have?
              I read back in the posts and you have a bigger TiVo than mine which means it is newer than mine. When I bought mine I bought the biggest. Have you had problems with TiVo hard drives before this? From your posts it sounds as if you have or have had other TiVos. I saw where weaknees had a bigger Roamio. I was seriously thinking about getting one, but if hard drives fail within 3 years I'm not sure that is the route I want to go. By the way, I love my Roamio. 6 tuners, and if a show is on one of the 6 tuners I can record it even if it has been on almost an hour. This TiVo was amazing.

Comment

Did you ever find an answer to this problem. I have not. Still same thing. As soon as the TiVo connects to the internet it reboots. Every once in awhile I can get it to stay on long enough to download latest info from TiVo, but it's just a matter of luck. If you found any answer or if you just gave up and sent it in for repair, please let me know. Just don't want to lose my shows. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Comment

Hi...i am a new user here. In my case i ran the SMART test and it passed both drives thru all of the tests that it ran thru the smart test. When my TiVo restarts it shows all of my recorded shows and I can play any of them. But after about 3 minutes it reboots. Please tell me do you have the TiVo with the expanded external drive.

Comment

Not sure what you mean about an external drive. But we do have upgrades for every model here:

https://www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                      Not sure what you mean about an external drive. But we do have upgrades for every model here:

https://www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php
                      Michael, I'm afraid to tell you that another, separate TiVo of mine has succumbed to this issue. Once again, the only time it repeatedly reboots (within 3 minutes) is when it's connected to a live internet connection, otherwise it remains on, can record (w/available guide data) and all recorded programs are accessible. The three of us who've had this problem all have external drives. Is there any pattern to this that's helpful to finding some solution? Thanks.

Comment

Compound problems are definitely hard to diagnose, but virtually every TiVo with an external drive is connected to the internet.

Are you using Minis with this unit?

Comment

Compound problems are definitely hard to diagnose, but virtually every TiVo with an external drive is connected to the internet.

Nope. Just full units around the house. Whatever happens about 3 minutes in -- a VCM connection, an entry into the banner across the top of the screen, some other internet communication -- seems to cause the TiVo to burp away.

Comment

Here's an interesting twist: The two affected TiVos are Roamio PROs; the unaffected units are all Roamio Plus's. Other than the original internal drive original, are there actually any differences between the two models?

Comment

Nope. No other differences.

What is the full system version of the rebooting units?

Comment

Nope. No other differences.

What is the full system version of the rebooting units?
                                20.7.2.RC24-USA-6-840, although I just got them to load 20.7.4.RC2-840-6-840.

Comment

Working...
                                X