Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Options for rebooting Roamio

Well, given the fact that the rebooting stopped when I disconnected the coax, which doubles as the cable signal and the MoCA network connnection, I figured something about either was rebooting the TiVo every 2-1/2 minutes. So I didn't reconnect the coax, but did enable a wireless connection to my router. (I don't have a nearby Ethernet connection.)

Strangely, the TiVo didn't reboot, so my theory that the internet connection -- and the stuff TiVo accesses and displays on TiVo Central (program icons, descriptions, third-party content) -- might be responsible was unlikely. I decided to force-connect to the TiVo service. Now, the unit by now was behind by a good week, so the resulting program download was substantial, and the Network menu in Settings was stuck for hours on "Preparing to Load ..."

When I came back to the TiVo hours later, the programming was caught up, but the TiVo was rebooting spontaneously again, making me think it might still be the connection to the internet. I proceeded to choose Ethernet (thus turning off the wireless connection), and voila, the TiVo stopped rebooting again.

The internet connection was now a prime suspect yet again. On a lark, I reconnected the (now MoCA-disabled) coax. As expected, the reintroduction of a cable signal immediately resulted in an audible surge in hard drive activity, furiously buffering the sudden availability of live video. AMAZINGLY, the TiVo did not reboot! And implied the hard drive wasn't in as bad a shape as perhaps thought.

Because I'm a masochist, I restarted the MoCA connection. Once again, the TiVo did not reboot. By this time, I had no idea what might be the culprit: Now it seemed to be neither the drive, the cable connection, NOR the internet feed. I was reaching for straws that maybe it had something to do with the connection to the TiVo service, maybe some corruption of the downloaded programming data ... so for good measure, I once again force-connected, this time over MoCA.

Which proceeded without incident. It's been about several hours now, and the TiVo's yet to reboot as I speak. Ladies and gentleman, I present to you a TiVo Easter miracle.
    Last edited by TishTash; 04-19-2017 at 12:11 AM.

I wonder if maybe you got an OS update in there.
    Find us on Twitter and Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by WK-Michael View Post
    I wonder if maybe you got an OS update in there.
    That's a distinct possibility. Somewhere in the repeated restarts, an update may have become corrupted before it fully installed. There was also a huge issue with streaming and accessing TiVos off-local-network (remotely over internet) that was just recently fixed, and the final forced connection may have either written over a corrupted OS update, or fixed a buggy one. Either way, I'm counting my blessings.

I spoke too soon: The Roamio started rebooting again. Again it stops when the internet connection is halted. Once that cycle is broken, all content plays back fine, and live TV buffering works well.

Any clues as to how the internet connection is apparently causing the restarts?

My vague guess would be that there's hard drive corruption where the OS stores the downloaded guide data, or where it buffers suggestions for the top bar.

With no promises expected, could that be repaired without affecting programs? (I don't believe I can turn off top-bar suggestions, which in theory may possibly stop the cycle.) Anyway, at worst I have a static VCR, lol.

In any case, thanks for your help, guys.

Sorry to say, no, we wouldn't be able to repair just that and save the programs. With a Roamio, it's really all-or-nothing. And if "all" isn't in perfect shape, it's nothing.

Default The very same thing

Quote Originally Posted by TishTash View Post
    With no promises expected, could that be repaired without affecting programs? (I don't believe I can turn off top-bar suggestions, which in theory may possibly stop the cycle.) Anyway, at worst I have a static VCR, lol.

In any case, thanks for your help, guys.
    As I stated earlier we have the EXACT same situation/Problem. After reading all of your posts, back & forths with the weaknees guy I unplugged my TiVo from its current location and put it in a spot I could connect to Ethernet. Connected it to Ethernet and it seemed like that worked. It stayed on and I connected to TiVo and got my program info ect and I was thrilled. So I determined that it was the internal wifi connection setup that had caused all of the problem. Well like you I spoke too soon. I left it running connected to Ethernet and after awhile it did the reboot thing. Darn!!! I called weaknees and they seem to be pretty sure it is a hard drive problem. I told the guy that I talked to that my warranty had just expired a couple of months ago. He said "well that would make your drives 3 years old". And I told him yes, my TiVo was about 39 months old. He told me that the average lifetime of a TiVo hard drive was 3 years. WHAT?? I have TiVos that are over 11 and 12 years old with original hard drives. He said I had been lucky. It kind of makes spending a lot of money for a upgraded TiVo with huge storage pointless if you lose your saved programs every three years. I'm still looking for an answer to my problem but I fear that sending it in for repair is my only option. But it still seems strange to me that when it is hooked up through Ethernet it stays on so much longer before rebooting. If you find an answer to this problem please post it.
    Ps: guess I will have to give up being a program hoarder.😢

Quote Originally Posted by Sharbea View Post
    As I stated earlier we have the EXACT same situation/Problem.
    Well, you just eliminated for me the possibility that Ethernet would work (the only option I hadn't tried). It appears that changing the mode of internet access buys some time, for whatever reason.

It's odd that you and I seem to have the exact same issue. What capacity of storage do you have?

I have a 4TB internal and 4 TB external. Haven't had any issues with it, although for the past couple of weeks in the morning all 6 tuners would be on the same channel. Indicating that the TiVo did a restart during the night. I guess. I have looked on a lot of places online and didn't see anyone else with this exact problem. But there were a lot of restart issues in older tivos. I keep hanging on trying to find an answer because as I stated earlier I am pretty sure if I send it in for repair I will lose everything. They should have an option where you could hook up a drive to the rear of the TiVo to get your programs off. They have the deal now where you can go online and transfer programs out of one TiVo into another TiVo like if you bought a new one and wanted to save programs. But I can not stay online. Please Let me know if you have any luck finding a solution to this problem. I appreciate you communicating back with me. Good luck.
    PS: Actually when I had Ethernet connected I was able to be online through my home wifi long enough to transfer a program to another TiVo. I will probably try that again to try and save some stuff that is special to me.