Connecting Series 3 HD to MoCa network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Series 3 HD to MoCa network

I installed a new Tivo Bolt, with a separate Digital Tuning Adapter, in my living room and used it to set up a MoCa network. I connected a Tivo Mini to the MoCa network easily, accessing the Bolt. I tried to connect my older Series 3 HD to the MoCa network using a MoCa Bridge unsuccessfully. Actually, the Series 3 connected to the network but was unable to access any TV channels. Do I need another Digital Tuning Adapter in the loop with the Series 3 or do I need to remove the Cable Card? Will the Series 3 be able to access/connect with the Bolt, like the Mini does?

You probably do need another tuning adapter for the Series3, but just to be clear, are you splitting the coax at the Series3, with one leg going into the TiVo and one into the MoCa bridge?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the very quick response! Yes, I split the cable - one to the Series 3, one to the Bridge (plus network cable from Bridge to the Series 3).

Comment

Sounds right. Not sure why you aren't getting the channels. Could it be that the channels are all MPEG4 and you have the TCD648250B Series3 model? That one can't ready MPEG4 stations.

Comment

I have now installed the Series 3 with a Digital Tuning Adapter and I am receiving all channels. I installed the MoCa bridge using a splitter - one to DVR and one to Bridge - and it appears there is no connection to the MoCa network. I know the network is working since a Tivo Mini in another room is working fine. I am fairly sure that I am doing something wrong in the network connection or set up of the network on the Series 3. During network set up I chose "Ethernet" (instead of the other choice - "Wireless") since there was no choice for "MoCa network". Is there something else I should do? Thanks!

Comment

That's right.

Can you try a laptop connected to the MoCa bridge and see what you get?

Comment

Still trying to get good connection for Series 3 with MoCa Bridge. Here is where I am now: Series 3 hooked up with Digital Tuning Adapter = everything worked fine; connected MoCa Bridge and Series 3 used it to connect and sync with Tivo (also tested it successfully with laptop as suggested); Series 3 cannot get channels once MoCa bridge is connected to cable, disconnect cable all channels are available/viewable. Any suggestions? I have switched splitters and cables to make sure there are no bad connections.

Comment

You are splitting the cable signal before the MoCa bridge, right? So the coax line to the Series3 doesn't go through the MoCa bridge at all?

Comment

Yes. I'm stumped. I get all channels when the Bridge is not connected, I lose some channels when it is connected (2 - 13, I still get channel 7?) The other Tivo devices connected to the network get all of the channels.

Comment

Maybe it's the splitter? Have you tried a different one?

Comment

Changed the splitter. Same issue. I may just run Cat 5 cable to this DVR to solve the problem. Not sure what to do with the Bridge...

Comment

Pretty strange, but Cat 5 should do it.

Comment

Working...
                        X