External storage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External storage question

My TIVO 4 stopped working so I replaced the hard drive with one I got from weaKnees. TIVO works now, I had an WD external storage device on it with tons of taped programming. It says that it is unrecognized. If I add it, it seems that will erase all content. Any way to add it back without losing content?

Unfortunately, no, there is no way to add the external and keep the content. The two drives in a TiVo are a married pair and when you separate them, all content recorded after the external was added is lost.

Comment

IMHO, TiVo should add the ability to mount/unmount an external drive.

I have a drive with a un-bootable OS and I'm installing a newly purchased Weaknees drive. Mounting an external drive should be smart enough to _attempt_ to scan the external drive for previously recorded shows that happen to be coherent.

Do you think it will ever happen?

Comment

Nope. Shows aren't specifically on one drive or another - most are written across both. So there's very little chance that you have a show that is fully on that external drive anyway.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Years ago I had one of the Tivo branded external drives attached to a premier that went bad after just over a year of use. Even though the external drive was only half of my total storage, I lost 95% of my shows. Tivo fragments the shows across the two drives. I was not happy!!

Using an external drive only doubles your odds of losing everything if either drive fails....

Comment

Working...
          X