Roamio OTA with Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roamio OTA with Stream

I recently bought a Tivo Stream from weaKnees to connect my Roamio OTA. Both the Roamio and the Stream are on the same wire Ethernet network. When trying to connect my mobile device to the Stream, I get through Steps 1 and 2, but when I get to step 3, I receive the following error "Network Problem: streaming device to DVR - The streaming device cannot contact the DVR. Make sure that the DVR and streaming device are on the same wired Ethernet or MoCA network then try again."

There are both connected to the same wired Ethernet, and the WiFi that my mobile device connects to is from that same router too. I've tried this on iPhone, iPad and Android device all with same or similar error.

Do the IP address for all of these devices show that they are all on the same subnet?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, both are 192.168.1.x I can see the device quickly when I pull up the System Info screen under the Streaming settings option on iOS, but every time, I try to access for downlaod or stream, it fails, and then wants to re-run the 3-step process, always indicating that it is checking for new software.

Comment

There was an issue with these checking for new software and getting stuck about a month ago. You do need the current version.

Try de-activating and re-activating the unit to see if that triggers a complete upgrade.

Comment

good thought. Thanks. I spent an hour on the phone with Tivo to no avail. He did say that I should wait at least 24 hours after first activating before trying again. Is that reasonable or just their answer to, we don't know. I'll give it till then, and then try your suggestion. I'll respond one way or another.

Comment

Well, historically, TiVo's servers have taken unusual amounts of time to activate and fully propagate new hardware info, but recently it's been pretty fast.

Nevertheless, a 24 hour wait can't really hurt.

Comment

waited 24 hours and still no luck. I've now done as suggested, deactivating and then re-activating. No improvement as of yet. I did notice that the device firmware on the stream is 19.0.1.RC1-01-6 as compared to what I can find as the latest, which is 20.4.9. Is there a way to force this upgrade? Also, when I ask for full info in the streaming setting tab on my iOS app, I get a screen that reads 'Silverstreak System Information". I can't find any info of that. Assume that to be the underlying OS on the Stream? Should I be concerned that this is a spare cable company custom version or anything like taht?

Comment

Where did you buy the Stream?

Comment

From Weaknees

Comment

We get them directly from TiVo, so it's not a custom cable company part or anything.

I'd call TiVo and see if they can force the software upgrade down to it.

Comment

3 days and 2 more hours of support calls to Tivo. It is apparent that I am simply not destined for using a Stream in my setup. How to I initiate a return?

Comment

Email us at [email protected].

Comment

Michael,

I am seemingly at wits end with Tivo and the Tivo Stream. 2 more hours and lots of promises, but it is clear they don't have any answer for making my Stream work. I'm hoping Weakness can swap it out once and see if it is truly the unit, both otherwise, I'm going to need to return it. I fit don't pan out, still looking at other creative options.
                          Dumb question... I bought both a stream and a mini in order to add a second TV and the stream. While I am strictly OTA, can I buy a cable-based Roamio that can serve to both stream my recorded OTA content to mobile and also work as a mini? I'm $300 into what I want, but 1/2 is not working. Another $100 to go this way, and I'm okay to do so assuming it will work. Thoughts?

Comment

There really aren't any cable-based Roamios for sale anymore.

In any event, I don't really understand - you'd use your OTA as a Mini? Then get a cable TiVo? If so, you'll still need service on the other TiVo.

Comment

No, other way around. I keep the Roamio OTA as-is, but instead of adding a Mini (for 2nd TV) and the separate Stream (for my iOS stuff), I was thinking I could instead use one of the DVRs that have built in streaming, and use it on the 2nd TV to play my OTA recorded content and to stream. But I am not interested in paying the fee.

So, let me ask, since I bought the Stream from Weaknees, and since Tivo seemingly can't make it update, can I return it to Weakness and one of your technicians upgrade it?

Comment

Working...
                              X