Ran into problem with TiVo Bolt 500GB right after update to 20.7.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran into problem with TiVo Bolt 500GB right after update to 20.7.2

Yes, unfortunately, I got what I call the "Four flashing lights of death" right after the installation of the 20.7.2 update. Since I am an IT professional, I want to try and see if there is any way to recover the recorded content.

TiVo Bolt 500GB
    Seagate 4TB Hard drive in a Rosewill Armer external enclosure

After researching, I see information on the Kickstart Codes that might be able to restore functionality to the HDD. My assumption is that the TiVo software upgrade tried to write to a bad sector that was previously unused, which caused the TiVo not to be able to read a boot file or something similar.

I see where I can run Kickstart 54 to diagnose the drive, 57 to run a deep scan and attempt to fix bad sectors, 58 to also defragment (but I am thinking defragmentation shouldn't be attempted if the drive is having issues) and Kickstart 52.

My question is: What order should I run the Kickstart codes? Also, if I opt to run Kickstart 52 to switch to the other boot partition, will it leave the recorded content and 1 Passes in place, or are they guaranteed to be wiped regardless.

I would start by testing the drive using WD diagnostic tools to give you an idea as to what's wrong with the drive itself. You might also try to clone the 500gb to another 500gb laptop drive and then work on the latter, so as to preserve the former.

Comment

I had the same experience as "ngoering" when my Bolt tried to install the 20.7.2 update this morning. I don't think the hard drive is the problem but I think my eSata to eSata cable may be suspect since this was the problem I had when I did the initial upgrade from the original 500GB to 6TB WD Red drive. I replaced the eSata cable over a year ago but I know this is a sensitive link between the Bolt and the external hard drive.

I reinstalled the original internal 500GB drive but now I have to contact TiVo customer service since it appears to them that my TiVo Bolt has not been connected to TiVo for more than 30 days.

Comment

I ran the Seagate SeaTools diagnostic utility. It was a 100% pass on all tests, including the Long Generic that scans all sectors.

Should I consider running one of the Kickstart codes now?

primaryforce, I am surprised I didn't have to contact customer service, since I rolled back to the 500GB drive Thursday night. Please let me know about the eSata to eSata cable and if changing it helps you.

Comment

I probably did not need to contact customer service since the steps they walked me through I could have done myself. The one tip I received was reconnect to the TiVo server twice to make sure the settings took. I did have to go through the complete setup process to get my Netflix, Amazon, and Plex apps functioning.
          I am in the final hour of low level formatting and read verifying my 6TB WD Red. After that is finished I will try again connecting to the Bolt and see if it will connect without the "four flashing lights of death." I don't have a lot of hope that will work and think I will be in the market for a 3TB 3 1/2" drive.

Comment

Well I am about ready to give up since after doing the manufacturing successful low level write of zeros and read verify, the 6TB again resulted in the 4 flashing lights. As an experiment, I plugged a 1TB Seagate formatted drive in the external enclosure but this also resulted in the 4 flashing lights. Now I have 3 different eSata to eSata cables and all of them failed to resolve the issue. Now I am down to either the eSata cable or the enclosure as being my problem. Before I throw any more money at solving my problem I would like to hear from others that have connected their 4, 6, or 8TB WD to the Bolt with the latest firmware. It is just strange that my setup failed with the new firmware. I may have to do an alternative mod by connecting the hard drive directly to the TiVo board with a single short Sata cable.

Comment

primaryforce, you may have hit on to something. I took your suggestion of hooking the HDD direct to the Bolt motherboard with a sata cable. The TiVo started up with no lights and says "Preparing the update...This may take up to an hour, possibly longer.

...and it finished and I have the HOME screen.

Unfortunately, I don't yet see the recordings. However, in addition to the 1 passes I created on the original drive after failing over, one of the passes not present is showing up. I may simply need to reboot one more time after calling in twice, since it did not reboot after the updating splash screen...

Comment

Update: I did the Clear Program Information and To Do List. After the box restarted, two things happened. The 7 passes I put on the factory drive disappear and my correct list of 31 passes on the Seagate have reappeared, all with (updating) after the name initially, but they went normal after two network connections to Tivo. Also, 192 previously deleted programs going back 3-5 months appeared. However, none of those are the recordings that should be in My Shows have reappeared.

Unfortunately, the My Shows recordings haven't returned. I have to believe that the recordings are there, but possibly no longer indexed or something similar. It can see deleted shows from 5 months ago, it should be able somehow to see the current recordings...

Is there a way to have Tivo analyze the drive, see the files out there and have them reappear in the My Shows list?

Comment

Nogoering,

I will try directly connecting the Sata port of my 6TB WD Red to the Bolt Sata port tomorrow and see if it will initiate. Since that drive is now completely formatted there is no chance to recover any of the previously recorded content. Hopefully if the drive starts to setup and gets to the "select country", I can then run the MFS reformatting program on my PC to get the full 6TB of recording space. I will then need to figure out how to mod the Bolt case to accommodate having a single cable from the Bolt Sata connector to the external drive. I will then probably need to buy a different cable from Amazon that has an eSata and a Sata connector.

To recover the the missling shows on your 4TB Seagate you may have to use a program like pyTivo or similar to connect your Bolt to your PC. Since I have only casually used this program there is not a lot of help I can provide but the TiVo Commuity site has all the info you will need.

Comment

Originally posted by primaryforce View Post
                    Nogoering,

I will try directly connecting the Sata port of my 6TB WD Red to the Bolt Sata port tomorrow and see if it will initiate. Since that drive is now completely formatted there is no chance to recover any of the previously recorded content. Hopefully if the drive starts to setup and gets to the "select country", I can then run the MFS reformatting program on my PC to get the full 6TB of recording space. I will then need to figure out how to mod the Bolt case to accommodate having a single cable from the Bolt Sata connector to the external drive. I will then probably need to buy a different cable from Amazon that has an eSata and a Sata connector.

To recover the the missling shows on your 4TB Seagate you may have to use a program like pyTivo or similar to connect your Bolt to your PC. Since I have only casually used this program there is not a lot of help I can provide but the TiVo Commuity site has all the info you will need.
                    Thanks for the information, primaryforce. I have pytivo downloaded, but haven't figured out how to get it running yet. However, I cancelled all scheduled recordings for tomorrow, put the Bolt in Standby and unplugged the Mini to avoid having tuners active until I can try something to bring back the shows.

If I pull this off and get the shows back, I will really have accomplished something great. I also intend to backup these shows to my NAS, just in case something else happens.

Please let me know if using the sata data cable directly connected to the motherboard works for you.

Comment

Success! My 6TB WD Red is up and running with my Bolt. Apparently the Bolt didn't like trying to connect through the multiple connectors and cables to access the external hard drive but a single SATA cable directly from the motherboard to the external drive resolved the issue. I still had to connect to the TiVo server twice to resolve the V312 error with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex. Now all I have to do is call Comcast to reactivate the cable card for HBO and VOD. One last job will be to figure out how to mod the Bolt case and external enclosure to accommodate my single cable configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by primaryforce View Post
                        Success! My 6TB WD Red is up and running with my Bolt. Apparently the Bolt didn't like trying to connect through the multiple connectors and cables to access the external hard drive but a single SATA cable directly from the motherboard to the external drive resolved the issue. I still had to connect to the TiVo server twice to resolve the V312 error with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex. Now all I have to do is call Comcast to reactivate the cable card for HBO and VOD. One last job will be to figure out how to mod the Bolt case and external enclosure to accommodate my single cable configuration.
                        Good to hear.

According to TiVo Tech Support, if the shows don't appear in the Recently Deleted Items folder, they are unrecoverable. They did say that several customers experienced this same loss of shows after the 20.7.2 update. Supposedly, they are keeping a tally of the new of these incidents and working to make sure this doesn't happen again with an update.
                        I am not holding my breath, though.

I did use kmttg to take a look into the My Shows folder, but it doesn't show anything there, either. I will work to get pytivo configured and running to see if it might be able to see the files. If that doesn't work, I'll throw my hands up in frustration and prepare to stream those shows from an alternative source.

Comment

Working...
                        X