Is my Replay dead?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Replay dead?!?

Many people have been happily using their ReplayTV dvrs for years and pay no mind to the hub-bub surrounding the TiVo brand. And that's fine. But since they don't make the ReplayTV anymore, does that mean when the thing dies you have to change loyalties?

Not at all.

Just as with a TiVo, ReplayTV users can upgrade and/or repair their Showstoppers (or other models) with a simple hard drive replacement. And it won't affect your Lifetime service agreement in any way.

If your ReplayTV is stuttering, freezing, pixillating or locking up altogether, your shortest route to Shangri-La is probably just a new hard drive. All you'll need is a willingness to pick up a screwdriver, and I guarantee you'll be glad you saved your dvr rather than dumping it in a landfill.

Give it a try!
    That's all there is to it!

Just Be Sure Where The Problem Is

Before deciding that pixilation or brief sound drops are the fault of your ReplayTV or Tivo, check around. I've been having this for the last few months, and discovered several of my friends have the same situation with regular viewing, and recording to VCR. We all use Comcast, and it appears Comcast is having technical problems as they convert to a digital system even for analog broadcast stations.

I have a ReplayTV 4508 (which I bought instead of Tivo back when ReplayTV did automatic commercial skipping). But I'll be buying a Tivo now that it is the only game in town.

My only regret is T3 won't have HDMI 1.3 until months after I buy--and as far as I know there is no way to do a firmware upgrade to the newest HD standards for deep color and Dolby TrueHD sound. John Sapienza

Comment

The new Series3 (lite) has been hinted at, so maybe that'll have HDMI 1.3. They haven't released any details, other than a lower price point.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jason View Post
        Many people have been happily using their ReplayTV dvrs for years and pay no mind to the hub-bub surrounding the TiVo brand. And that's fine. But since they don't make the ReplayTV anymore, does that mean when the thing dies you have to change loyalties?

Not at all.

Just as with a TiVo, ReplayTV users can upgrade and/or repair their Showstoppers (or other models) with a simple hard drive replacement. And it won't affect your Lifetime service agreement in any way.

If your ReplayTV is stuttering, freezing, pixillating or locking up altogether, your shortest route to Shangri-La is probably just a new hard drive. All you'll need is a willingness to pick up a screwdriver, and I guarantee you'll be glad you saved your dvr rather than dumping it in a landfill.

Give it a try!
        Replay RTV 5508 froze up on load up, wait screen.
        If we repair will I loose my life time activation?
        [email protected]

Comment

Nope - the lifetime activation is tied to the motherboard, and our drives will preserve that:

http://www.weaknees.com/replaytv.php
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X