Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIVO Premiere XL Reboots when trying to access Close Caption option

Hi,

I have 2 TIVO Premiere XL's and one of them recently (8/13/2017) installed the latest SW version 7.2. Since the update i have experienced two issues.

1. After the SW update, the box would not recognize my external HD when booting up (received the missing external device message). I performed the remove external device process (3 thumbs down + Enter) and the box would then reboot properly. Reconnected the External drive and rebooted. Followed the prompts to add an external drive and all seemed ok (except lost all recordings on both internal & external drives as expected). I performed the "Kickstart 54" process and the test completed successfully although it did not show that a secondary drive was present.

Box seemed to work fine until I tried to access the Closed Caption settings (Setting>Displays>Closed Captioning). When I select this option, the screen goes black and the box reboots. I have tried several times and same thing occurs each time. I am able to select any other option i.e. Channel Banner, Video Window, Choose TiVo Menus, etc. without an issue.

2. On last reboot, I received the "Missing external device message again and once again performed the I performed the remove external device process (3 thumbs down + Enter). the reboot completed successfully. I once again powered down and reconnected the external drive and rebooted again. The box rebooted , but did not prompt that it detected an external device and acts like there is no external drive connected, but works fine except for the Closed caption setting reboot issue.

Any idea why this is occurring and any suggestions to resolve it?

Thanks in advanced

That all sounds like software corruption to me, likely as a result of a failing hard drive.

How old is the unit?

When you did the kickstart 54 tests, did you do the full overnight test? Did it show any failures?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi, thank for your reply. the unit is 6 years old and I only did the quick kickstart 54 test. Should I do the full overnight test and see how that goes? If the test is successful, should I then do the delete everything function from Settings>Help and start all over with configuring the unit? If the test is unsuccessful, should I then purchase a HD upgrade kit from WeaKnees and start all over?

Thanks

Comment

Do the overnight test and see what you get, and let's go from there.

Comment

Ok will do..thanks.

Comment

Hi,
            Here are the results from the overnight Kickstart 54 test.

Initial state - Pass
            Short test - Pass
            Conveyance test - Pass
            Extended test - Fail 7
            Off-line scan - Done
            Test time (est) 346:00
            Test time (elapsed) 394:14

What are the next steps?

Comment

Then you need a new drive kit.

The options for the Premiere XL are here:

https://www.weaknees.com/prmx.php

Just be sure you don't have an XL4 - those kits are different.

Comment

Ok, thanks. Does the Fail 7 mean the drive is failing? Other than replacing the HD is there anything else I can do? What will replacing the HD require me to do and will there be instructions included with the HD kit that will guide me after the HD has been replaced? Once the HD has been replaced, will I have to reconfigure the unit as if it were new and go through the guided setup procedure and?

I contacted Tivo Tech support and they said I could replace the unit with a refurbished unit, but I would have to pay a $200 fee to transfer my lifetime subscription to the exchanged unit. This, plus a $150 fee for the exchange. So I'm looking at spending $350 to replace the unit. If I purchase the HD kit from WeaKnees, will I lose my lifetime subscription and have to contact Tivo and pay the full price have it activated again?
                Last edited by doode2354; 08-17-2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Our kits retain your lifetime subscription. No issues there.

The "Fail 7" is a hardware problem on the drive. It basically can make the OS on the drive unusable.

The kit contains hardware installation instructions and tools. Then, the setup information for the new drive is all on-screen?

Comment

Ok thanks! I guess I'll order the HD kit rather than exchange the unit with Tivo. Thanks again for your help!

Comment

I'm having the same issue with my XL4 (reboots when trying to access the Closed Captions setting). Looks like I first need to do the kickstart 54 test. However, I'm a bit confused with the instructions at https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php. It says to restart the box and wait for the green light to come on, then when you see the yellow/amber light begin to flash, hold the PAUSE button on the remote. However, it then says to not continuously hold down the pause button. Then it says to release the PAUSE button. So, how long do you hold the pause button before releasing it?

Comment

Probably five seconds or less should do it.

Comment

The complete test ran for about 18 hours and looks like everything passed. However, it still reboots when trying to access closed captions. I guess I'll just open a support case with TiVo. I know this worked fine before the latest software update.

TiVo kickstart 54.jpg

Comment

OK. Definitely an interesting issue.

Comment

TiVo support said this is a known issue and they are working on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X