Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost recordings and not following season pass

Hi folks,
    Just curious if you have any ideas. I have a Premiere Series 4 Tivo that's a few years old. It was working fine for a long time, but recently started hanging on the welcome screen and wouldn't get past it. After doing some research, I decided to replace the harddrive. I found someone selling a "new" (probably not new, but more likely it was unopened and not used) Tivo with the exact same model number. Took the new harddrive out of that unit and put it in my old Tivo. After starting everything up, it runs pretty well with two exceptions. 1) Twice now (over the span of a few months) we noticed that all of our recordings have disappeared. No clue why. 2) We noticed that even though we have a One-Pass set for certain shows, it won't record the show unless we force it. We heard there were some problems with the guide, but not sure if that's the problem or not.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    cpgoose

Almost certainly, those are hard drive issues.

I'd recommend just getting a new drive with the new OS:

https://www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Almost certainly, those are hard drive issues.

I'd recommend just getting a new drive with the new OS:

https://www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php
      Thanks for the reply! I guess I'm just confused because the replacement harddrive I put in there was new. So why would it have problems? I guess I'm always a little skeptical, though. Even though the TiVo was unopened, they could have thrown the box or dropped it I guess.

Comment

Who knows what they did with it or how old it was. Even a hard drive sitting on a shelf can deteriorate.

Comment

True. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Actually one more question for you...

I use an antenna with my TiVo. For some reason, there are one or two channels that dont come in when I use the TiVo. It says the signal is too low. If I just use the antenna without the TiVo, those channels come in just fine.

Any thoughts?

Comment

The tuner in Premieres does seem to be less sensitive than other TiVo models and than many TVs. I'd guess that's all there is to it.

Comment

Gave TiVo a call to see if they had any thought as to why this would happen. She said it's because the tv just has one tuner, so the signal is ok for the one tuner. Because the TiVo has multiple tuners, it splits up the signal and then it's not strong enough. She recommended moving my antenna, or possibly getting a signal amplifier. I told her I was pondering the current deal to transfer the lifetime subscription to a new bolt, but now I'm reluctant because the bolt has 4 tuners, so wouldn't that make my problem that mush worse? She said it was a possibility. Lol.

Comment

I'm not really sure this works that way, but it's possible. Once the signal reaches the unit, I don't think its strength diminishes internally. I think she got stuck in a bad explanation there.

Comment

Working...
                  X