Help Diagnosing Dead Roamio Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Diagnosing Dead Roamio Plus

My parent’s Roamio Plus (TCD848000) is not functioning. The only signs of life are front flashing green circle light and the fan is spinning - nothing whatsoever displayed on TV. TiVo offered to swap out the box for more than they’d like to spend, given that the unit (manufactured 31-OCT-13) has lifetime service on it.

I’m hoping to try and save them a few bucks, if someone can point me in the right direction on what the likely cause of the above behavior would be. I’m guessing power supply or hard drive ?

Thanks!

(Incidently, I learned through their misfortune that while it may be nice to save a buck or so a month on an extra cable card and have a single playlist throughout the house, I will not be going with the one unit and numerous Minis route and stick with multiple boxes for redundancy.)

My guess is that the HDMI port failed.

Have you tried the component or composite outputs?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for your reply Michael. I tried the component and composite outputs and neither had any picture. The only other info I could add to the equation is that the Ethernet lights are flashing on the rear as well.

Comment

OK. I'd try a new drive. That's the most likely broken part, given all of these symptoms:

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-roamio-plus-tcd848000.php

Comment

Different hard drive had no effect and same symptoms persist. Darn! Not looking good. Guess they’ll need to bite the bullet and either pay the swap out fee to TiVo or send in for repair?

Comment

Yup - definitely time to contact TiVo.

Comment

Well in attempting to accept TiVo’s unit swap offer ($79 hardware & $199 service), I made the very stupid mistake of mentioning that a different hard drive had no change on problem. Now they won’t do the deal. Had they told me opening my non-warranty unit would void their offer to change out the box I wouldn’t have done it....especially considering the alternative is (now) a $199 Bolt with $549 All In plan. I escalated to a supervisor and got no where except the offer to take $25 off the hardware cost.

Just wanted to post this sob story in hopes of saving someone else from the same path.

Comment

Working...
              X