Tivo Bolt Plus with the Flashing Lights of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redrhino View Post
    ... I'm feeling a bit annoyed and a bit worried...
    I'm worried with all the failures that I'm seeing of the Tivo Bolts.

I bought one of your units modified with the 3TB drive. Is the drive that you use considered better than that in the oem Tivo units? I also signed up through Tivo for the lifetime service, which now, accoring to my Tivo account, has been changed over to the "all in one" service. Since my unit is modified(by you) is my "all in one service" good with you or Tivo.

Comment

AIP - All in Plan - is about the guide data and OS updates. It's not a hardware warranty.

We use the same 3 TB drive that TiVo does for Bolts.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Oh...
        Since we have had it, we have never shut it off,(enter into stand by). Just recently, I had to re-boot it to get it going, a couple of times. Since then, I've started entering into stand by before we go to bed. Will this help? Have I been causing the drive to overheat by never shutting it off.

Comment

Nope - standby mode just cuts the video output. It doesn't put less stress on the unit. But it also shouldn't hurt.

Comment

My TiVo Bolt+ 3TB has gone into the four-flashing-light mode after 2.5 years (Sep 2016). It has had a long-standing problem where, if it lost power, you had to wait 20-30 minutes before powering it on again or it'd just sit there with no lights. Found some threads suggesting that it's a power supply problem; replacing the external A/C adapter didn't help me. I'm assuming that the no-lights problem has nothing to do with the hard drive, so simply replacing the drive wouldn't fix the other issue (which I'm guessing will turn into a total failure at some point).

Comment

That's likely to be a bad hard drive. We have replacements for that here:

https://www.weaknees.com/bolt.php

Comment

I woke up yesterday to the death flash. So it sounds like I need a new HD.

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post

Only the 3 TB will work in a Bolt Plus.
                Does this mean strictly the 3TB, or the 3TB and the larger options listed?

For the >3TB options, it says it requires installation by you... is that only to keep the existing drive contents? Is it possible to order a fresh clean setup for self-install in one of the >3TB sizes?

Comment

We've recently learned that smaller drives are OK in the Bolt Plus and Bolt VOX 3TB. See this page:

https://www.weaknees.com/bolx.php

Next, we don't recommend any internal drives larger than 3TB because those drives just aren't suitable for TiVos and don't work reliably. Maybe one will come one day, but the current options show early faliures.

For any external, yes, your unit has to come here for installation by us.

Comment

Hi. Same problem here.
                    Are the FLOD only up when there’s a boot failure?
                    Can I take this drive and recover the tivo files elsewhere?
                    Which is a better option? Repair the bolt+ or purchase your roamio 3TB instead?
                    Neither will see tivo desktop, but the windows pc saw the old bolt+ and sees my Roamio.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinylm View Post
                      Hi. Same problem here.
                      Are the FLOD only up when there’s a boot failure?
                      Can I take this drive and recover the tivo files elsewhere?
                      Which is a better option? Repair the bolt+ or purchase your roamio 3TB instead?
                      Neither will see tivo desktop, but the windows pc saw the old bolt+ and sees my Roamio.
                      Well, the Bolt is faster than the Roamio and has 4K support, etc. If you have lifetime service on it, it's worth fixing. And it might be worth fixing even if you don't.

But the Roamio does use the desktop-sized 3.5" drives, and those do seem to last longer than laptop-sized 2.5" drives.

Comment

Working...
                      X