Please Help Mini will not connect to Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Mini will not connect to Network

I need help with my MOCA network. Everything worked fine from July 2015 until Sept 2017. Since then every time I try to connect the Mini in my bedroom I get code 33 or 133. I'm going crazy.

I have a 6 Tuner Roamio Plus in my living room connected to Cable Modem and Apple Airport Extreme Router and Tuning Adapter. I have POE, splitter on Coax Everything on this connection works correctly.

Connections:

Roamio Ethernet to Airport Router Ethernet
    Roamio Cable (MOCA) to Tuning Adapter Cable Out
    Roamio USB to Tuning Adapter USB
    Tuning Adapter Cable In to Cable Modem Cable
    Cable Modem Ethernet to Airport Extreme Ethernet

Tivo Mini Connections: (Bedroom)

Cable (MOCA
    HDMI
    Power

The Tivo Mini stopped connected to connecting to the internet in September 2017. I have talked to Tivo.com more times than I can count. Even though both Mini and Roamio were activated in 2015, they seem to think when I'm calling is the FIRST time I'm creating MOCA network, connecting Roamio and Mini. They won't take my word that both worked as is from 2015 until Sept 2017. My frustration level is topped out. On their advice I have:

• Rebooted everything numerous times
    • Disconnected/reconnected coax
    • Replaced coax in bedroom with new coax, Tivo said mine might be old and possibly damaged inside (how, it sits on the floor with nothing touching it?)
    • Connected Mini to Living Room TV through a different Input to insure it was still works. It does, and it updated Mini to the most recent software

The only thing different since I originally connected the Roamio and Mini is Brighthouse changed to Spectrum and they changed the cable modem. That was months before the Mini lost the connection.

I will appreciate any help.

You say you "Connected Mini to Living Room TV through a different Input to insure it was still works. It does, and it updated Mini to the most recent software."

What internet connection did you use to do this?

Have you tried a short coax segment from the Mini to the Roamio in the living room?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Try repeating the Mini Guided Setup.

Comment

Originally posted by km4030 View Post
        I have a 6 Tuner Roamio Plus in my living room connected to Cable Modem and Apple Airport Extreme Router and Tuning Adapter. I have POE, splitter on Coax Everything on this connection works correctly.

Connections:

Tivo Mini Connections: (Bedroom)
        The most obvious issue is that the MoCA-enabled DVR must NOT be connected through a Tuning Adapter's STB Out/RF pass-through port, as this port severely attenuates MoCA signals. You'll need to use a MoCA-compatible splitter (e.g.) to directly connect both the DVR and TA to the coax plant. A 75-ohm terminator would then be used to cap the TA's now-unused RF pass-through port.

Once the TA & DVR are separately connected to the coax, a MoCA filter may be needed on the TA's coax input to prevent MoCA from interfering with the TA's operation, and vice versa. (see here for more info)

And, just to confirm, the "PoE" MoCA filter is installed on the input of the initial, main splitter for the home, right? (i.e. NOT on a splitter within the Living Room)

Comment

(My initial post is apparently still awaiting moderation for some reason. Key point from that post: The MoCA-enabled DVR must NOT connect via the Tuning Adapter's RF pass-through port; use a splitter, instead.)

p.s. I'm not 100% confident that I understand how your devices and rooms are connected from the OP's description. I'm not sure where the "PoE" MoCA filter is installed, or how the coax runs interconnect. A diagram, however rough, can be immensely helpful; see attached for an example, for inspiration.

MoCA_diagram_eg1.jpg

Also, the MoCA statistics reported by a MoCA-connected TiVo device can be handy for troubleshooting a MoCA network's performance. And I especially recommend checking/documenting the stats with your setup as-is, to more objectively gauge how any changes alter the stats/performance. See the Network Troubleshooting > Network Status dialog to view MoCA stats; screenshots can be posted to facilitate conveying the info. (see this TCF post for more info)
          Last edited by krkaufman; 06-13-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

In case my original reply is never approved...

Originally posted by km4030 View Post

Connections:

The highlighted connection is problematic. The MoCA-enabled DVR must NOT connect via the TA's STB Out/RF pass-through port, as this port severely attenuates MoCA signals. A splitter must be used, instead.

Comment

Originally posted by krkaufman View Post
              In case my original reply is never approved...

The highlighted connection is problematic. The MoCA-enabled DVR must NOT connect via the TA's STB Out/RF pass-through port, as this port severely attenuates MoCA signals. A splitter must be used, instead.
              Exactly. Took me 3 days to figure this out after purchasing my Bolt/VOX and Mini/VOX to replace my 2 Tivo Premier DVR's. I even took out my MoCa adapters and utilized only the MoCa from the Bolt. I'm running a 1 in/3 out splitter(on Spectrum cable). 1 goes to my internet router, 1 to the Bolt and 1 to the tuning adapter in. Using the USB out on the TA to the USB in on the Bolt.

I used the cable only to the Mini in the bedroom, replacing the 2nd Premier and TA in the bedroom.

After 4 days of connecting and reconnecting this and that, reading forums, losing sleep and the ability to record shows while the TV's were down, and criticism from my wife(do you know what you're doing?...etc), finally Sunday afternoon got it all figured out and went and got the splitter. Now, it works perfectly!

Thanks, I could not have done without help from you.

Comment

Working...
              X