Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about MoCA Filter..do I need one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about MoCA Filter..do I need one?

I have an installation where I have two TiVo's - a basic Roamio and a 500GB TiVo Bolt (white) connected to a single Sony XBR display. I'm using Xfinity TV and internet service. At the TV location the cable line is split between the two TiVo DVR's, using a splitter that is included with TiVo products, and I currently have both TiVo's connected to the home wifi.

My question revolves around the fact that I am not using the MoCA network features for either TiVo but I know that the Bolt has a built in MoCA adaptor so my question is do I still need a MoCA filter at the point where the cable service comes into the house and then splits off to the two rooms or is it only required if the MoCA feature is being used to send signal to Mini's or other TiVo's on a MoCA network? I wasn't sure if the built in MoCA feature of the Bolt could still send information out over the coaxial cabling.

Thank you for any information.

You don't need the filter. If you aren't using the MoCA protocol on the Bolt, the interface is turned off in the software.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

What Michael said.

But the followup might be... is this arrangement working OK for you, in terms of streaming (not transferring) content between the Roamio and BOLT? (Or is this just a short-term setup, so you're not concerned with the network throughput between the Roamio and BOLT?)

Food for thought... you could use a standalone wireless bridge, such as the Dlink DAP-1650 (as just one example), to make the wireless connection back to your router, and then connect the Roamio and BOLT via Ethernet to the DAP-1650 ... enabling wired Ethernet connectivity between the TiVo devices and letting the wireless bridge handle the Internet traffic. (And still no MoCA, so still no "PoE" MoCA filter needed.)

Comment

Working...
      X