Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking forever to download information from satellite during guided setup (Hughes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking forever to download information from satellite during guided setup (Hughes)

We recently purchased a NOS Hughes Directv SD=DVR40 to replace a unit that died on us. Have given Directv the new unit and card numbers and they've activated, but we're not able to get guided setup to complete. It runs through all the steps, says everything is fine but when it gets to the stage of downloading information from satellites it's moving incredibly slowly. At first I thought it was actually frozen (around 70%) but after hitting the thumbs up and revealing progress details, I see it is actually receiving something, just slowly. Once I realized that I left it alone and it's managed to progress to 90% now, but that's after letting it run for days. Obviously, that can't be right. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions about what's going on? I don't want to unplug and have to wait for days to get back to where I am now, but would like to get this finished and hope it'll be working ok once it finally does......

I'd guess your hard drive in there is failing.

You can test it:

https://www.weaknees.com/54

and replace it:

https://www.weaknees.com/hu40.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

seems unlikely

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      I'd guess your hard drive in there is failing.
      As I said, this was NOS, I'm not inclined to think it's a hard drive issue. More likely to me might be that it's running an older OS. Thoughts? i could risk losing all that i've got so far (remember it's at 90% now) and try some of the hacks for software upgrade over the phone, or just wait for it to finally get past this step and auto update, not sure which is the better bet

Comment

Sorry - what does NOS stand for in this situation?

Comment

new old stock. a discontinued model unused in a sealed box. my guess is that it has an ancient software version that's causing problems, but only because the startup screens are grey not the logo/blue directv screen i see with my previous box. one would think i could stick a memory stick with a newer OS in the usb port and get it to run, but i haven't found a source for the latest software nor any idea if this idea would work. someone else had a suggestion about upgrading software via phone line, but i can't get out of the guided setup steps to access the make a call menu, so that's not working for me...

Comment

OK. Got it.

Then, yes, this is likely due to the ancient version of software on there.

I don't think there's any way to get the OS to update on an old drive. You just need a drive with the current OS on it.

Comment

Working...
            X