Two TiVos - Similar Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two TiVos - Similar Problems

Thought the hard drive went on our HD-XL that we have in the basement. After working fine earlier in the day, went to watch something and it was first very slow to load the menu, the picture was frozen, etc. So I unplugged and re-plugged. Ever since the TiVo cycles through the Power Up screen for a while then goes black, then a scrambled B&W screen, then Powering Up again. Tried to do the SMART test, but nothing happens when I hit the Pause button. Just figured it was a dead hard drive and tried to use a Premiere that had been out of use after upgrading to a Bolt a few months back. It was working fine when we swapped them out, but when I set it up in place of the malfunctioning unit, I found I had essentially the same problem. Powering Up screen comes on as expected, sticks on that for a while, then the "Just a Few Minutes More" (or something to that effect) screen comes on for a long time, then the scrambled B&W screen (20180924_233643338_iOS.jpg.

This seems to indicate that the hard drive is NOT the issue, as it seems unlikely that two completely different TiVos, kept in separate places, one in use and the other not in use, would have such similar problems. All I could think of was the HDMI cable or the CableCard. We swapped the cable for a new one, and that didn't help. Before I make a trip to the cable company, am I missing any other possibilities?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You cannot move drives from an HDXL to/from a Premiere; it won't work.

I'd suggest you take a look at your power supply:

https://www.weaknees.com/bps

Comment

Thanks for replying. I do appreciate it.

I am not looking to move drives, however. I was just going to use the Premiere instead. Swapped entire TiVo - not HDs. But that's when I found that they second TiVo had the same (or at least a very similar) problem. That's what I mean by questioning the odds of two different TiVos having the same issue. I did not even use the same power cord - I used the original one for the Premiere, so I'm not sure it would be the power supply (unless both went bad at the same time). I feel like the Cable Card is the most likely culprit at this point, but I'm open to other options. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X