Premiere: bad HD or other problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premiere: bad HD or other problem?

I have a TiVo Premiere (746320) with Lifetime Service, it works well most of the time, but occasionally there's pixellation or a momentary freeze. I assume this is likely a HD starting to fail but could it be something else?

Also, if it does need a new HD, I don't want to put much $ into this TiVo at this time (end of the winter season, i.e. I'll be leaving CableCard territory in about a month). I'm willing to put in something bigger in (say) Nov 2019, but I'd hate to buy a 1TB or 2TB HD for it now and get another Bolt Vox upgrade offer like Summer 2018 (and in 2017? I forget). This year I might take advantage of it (if it comes).

I found one seller on eBay who's selling 500GB drives pulled from "new" TiVo Premieres, I assume TiVo or someone scrapped the unsold units and the buyer pulled the drives as the only valuable part. The drive is super cheap but it sounds like they might have wiped it. How hard would it be to re-initialize and install the Premiere software? I'm somewhat technical (i.e. can follow instructions but can't find any newer than really old. I don't mind investing some effort into a cheap drive, but if this is going to get expensive, I'd rather leave my existing drive and spend the $150 or $200 (for 1TB or 2TB) in November, by which point I'll know if I'm going to keep using this device.

BTW the Premiere is showing its age in other ways, we tried to watch a livestream on YouTube yesterday, it kept freezing then restarting and I thought our WiFi was flaky. Switched from casting to the Premiere's YT app to the (TCL Roku 2017) TV's YT app, and it was fine. We use the Comcast box for Xfinity On Demand, the TV for Netflix, Prime Video, YT, etc., and just use the Premiere for recorded content. Which is fine but it makes me nervous even that will fail (thus my thought of getting a newer box, but no way will I pay $550 for Lifetime Service).

Thanks!
    =aw

I think the freezing on Youtube is likely also related to a hard drive that's failing.

Putting the right OS on a drive is not easy. We can typically do it for you - see this page:

https://www.weaknees.com/misc.php

I don't know that TiVo ever scrapped Premieres, new or old. I'd be pretty wary of that claim. TiVo still considers Premieres to be active units in every way, and they still fully support them (and just sold some to us recently).

Anyway, we do have drives for your unit here:

https://www.weaknees.com/prm3.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that re: YT (obviously ).

I had looked at your price list and I figure $150 would be good for 1TB, problem is I've got at most a month of Comcast service this season before we go back north. If TiVo offers the upgrade to a Bolt Vox again this year, I might take it. In 2018 the trade-in offer was $99 for Lifetime on a new Bolt Vox ($200|$300|$500 for 500|1|3). It might be better to spend $300 or $400 on a new machine, vs putting $150 into this Premiere? If they don't do the offer in 2019, or if the terms are worse (more likely), I'll look at upgrading the HD at the start of my visit next year. I haven't read reviews of the Bolt so maybe I'll pass on the upgrade again.

BTW the 500GB drive in question is $18 shipped. Described as “Pull from new TiVo Premiere 4”, 88 sold, and told me "System data has been cleaned up, you can't change it directly, sorry". If not TiVo, maybe someone else dumped stock? Too new to be Circuit City, for example. I was excited about $18 (and would put that much in now, just to be safe) but it sounds complicated. Maybe the 88 happy buyers are getting them as cheap full-time drives for a Plex or Tablo system, not needing TiVo OS? eBay item number:113065438021 I was hoping I could pull OS off my existing drive and install on new one, even if in a Linux VM if not Windows. But if it's too complicated, never mind. I saw you offer that service, but better to buy a new HD when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
      X