Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try adding a UPS before you swap anything.

I kept getting the overheating message even at a cold start up. It was the power supply. Actually it was low AC voltage to the power supply. I put a UPS on my TIVO and now it boots up and runs fine.

Comment

• Diagnose my DVR40?

I have an RCA DVR40 with a 500 gig drive upgrade (add-on).

Last night the following things happened:

1. During show playback, every now and then the "Please insert a valid access card" message would flash briefly on the screen. Needless to say, I had never removed the access card.
      (Show playback was not affected at this point.)

2. Then when I tried to search for a show to record, I got directed to a screen saying "Please activate your DVR service." I could no longer do any other functions without being sent to that screen.

3. Thus, I figured I'd reboot the box to see if that fixed things. When I plug it back in, I can hear the fan spinning ... but I have no green "Power" light on the front panel, and I have nothing displayed on the TV screen. No "Welcome, Powering Up ..."

(4. If this is a power supply issue, would a power supply from an HR10-250 work in a DVR40?)

Comment

• Most likely, that's a bad power supply.

And NO! the HR10 power supply won't work in your unit. In fact, it will most likely damage your unit beyond repair. We've ruined a few that way over the years . . .
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          Most likely, that's a bad power supply.

And NO! the HR10 power supply won't work in your unit. In fact, it will most likely damage your unit beyond repair. We've ruined a few that way over the years . . .
          Thanks for the tips!

When I crack the case, disconnect the IDE cable and power up, I get the same result, except the power LED flashes green three times, then goes dark again. Does that mean anything?
          Last edited by marconi64; 12-19-2010, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Most likely, that's a bad power supply.
            Have you ever seen the "activate your DVR service" symptom when a bad power supply was the culprit?

Comment

• Originally posted by marconi64 View Post
              Have you ever seen the "activate your DVR service" symptom when a bad power supply was the culprit?
              Not that specifically, no, but a lot of other erratic behavior. Considering what we have seen, we don't think this is anything that couldn't be caused by a bad power supply.

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

When I crack the case, disconnect the IDE cable and power up, I get the same result, except the power LED flashes green three times, then goes dark again. Does that mean anything?
                Maybe - but not to me . Sorry, but I just don't know if that has meaning.

Comment

• Replaced the power supply (thanks for the fast shipping!).

TiVo powers up as normal, satellite signal acquisition appears to be fine. Recordings are still on the hard drive and can be played.

My receiver is *not displaying live TV*, however. I get a black screen for all channels. I have guide data ... just no picture or sound. DirecTV is stumped so far, they are sending a tech in a couple of days. (The two DirecTV DVRs are working normally.)

Maybe I did something wrong during the power supply replacement? I already re-seated the flat ribbon cable once.

Comment

• Sometimes that's a bad access card - if the tech is coming out, make sure he has a potential card replacement.

Comment

• DirecTV came to the house and the tech is stumped, can't figure out why I can play recordings, see guide data, and have excellent sat signal strength, yet cannot see or hear live TV.

I cannibalized a piece of Parlex cable from my spare DSR6000 and tried that in place of the existing one, but no change.

Is it possible that the power supply you sold me is not providing the proper output on all 20 pins, leading to the absence of live TV picture and sound, but proper function otherwise? If so, I'd want to exchange the board I got for another one and give that a try.

Comment

DirecTV came to the house and the tech is stumped, can't figure out why I can play recordings, see guide data, and have excellent sat signal strength, yet cannot see or hear live TV.

I cannibalized a piece of Parlex cable from my spare DSR6000 and tried that in place of the existing one, but no change.

Is it possible that the power supply you sold me is not providing the proper output on all 20 pins, leading to the absence of live TV picture and sound, but proper function otherwise? If so, I'd want to exchange the board I got for another one and give that a try.
                        Anything is possible, I guess, but I've never seen that.

I really do think it's most likely the access card, and the other techs here are backing me up on that. Did he try swapping out the card and authorizing a new one?

Comment

Anything is possible, I guess, but I've never seen that.

I really do think it's most likely the access card, and the other techs here are backing me up on that. Did he try swapping out the card and authorizing a new one?
                          1. The guy who has posted on TiVo Community also thinks it's the access card. I'm coming around to fighting for that.

2. "Fighting" because I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with DirecTV, with them categorically refusing to send out an access card based on my symptoms. Ran into an utter brick wall with the supervisor in the access card distribution center. Apparently my next options are (a) writing DirecTV an angry letter and (b) losing the access card.

(Yesterday the technician told me he didn't have an extra card with him and that they don't just carry them around for such situations.)

Comment

• Well, when we've seen these symptoms (not often) it's generally been a card - certainly more than anything else.

Comment

• I located an old receiver, and tried the access card from that receiver in my DVR40. Channel 200 now appears!

I also tried the access card from the R15 they left with me. Channel 200 works with that one too!

On regular channels, I get "you have inserted the wrong access card."

Even presented with this info, DirecTV continues to refuse to provide me with a new access card. NOW they are saying because I accepted the new receiver, they have designated the old receiver as "broken" and will not reactivate it.

Excuse me? Nobody from DirecTV advised me of this BEFORE I reluctantly took the R15.

I have now located the email address for the CEO and am sending him a message.

Comment

• Or try calling again and see if the next operator has a different story.

Comment

Working...
                                X