Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Supply Problems - FAQ

New info on this issue..:

As I was checking the model number i noticed that the USB Network adaptar plugged in was also not on. I don't know if this supports the power supply theory.. but i would think so.

Tough to say for sure, but no lights is a pretty good indicator of a power supply problem. The spinning fan doesn't really tell much one way or another. The blank screen is consistent with a power supply issue.

It is not surprising that you don't have USB power...you won't have that until after the TiVo has started powering up and is close to getting to TiVo Central.

Well i plugged your power supply in and nothing happened.. I don't know if the thing is broken or what.. but then i plugged back in my old unit and the tivo started working again.. I don't really know how it started working again and i don't really care.. Thanks guys for your help with my Tivo.

Strange - but glad to hear it. Just be careful - this may mean more problems are coming.

I suspect a power supply problem on a HR10-250 but would like to know for sure before ordering a replacement. The system froze and wouldn't accept remote or front button input. I pulled power and restarted. The system comes up with the "Welcome. Powering up..." message but goes no farther. The hard drive will boot in someone else's machine. The fan runs and I have front panel lights. Occasionally the record light will come on for a few seconds and then the welcome screen will blink off and back on. I also tried running a molex from a PC to power the hard drive but still nothing after the welcome. Are there any voltages I can check or anything else that I can look at? Thanks for the help.

GH

You can check the output from the PS to the drive. The red/black is 5V and the yellow/black is 12V. The tougher issue is the test from the PS to the motherboard, which is not really plausible.

If your friend is willing, you might try his/her PS in your HR10-250 (or vice versa) to see if you can learn anything that way.

Quote Originally Posted by WK-Jeff View Post
    You can check the output from the PS to the drive. The red/black is 5V and the yellow/black is 12V. The tougher issue is the test from the PS to the motherboard, which is not really plausible.

If your friend is willing, you might try his/her PS in your HR10-250 (or vice versa) to see if you can learn anything that way.
    I checked the voltages and have the 5 and 12 present. Not sure about the 18 that is supposed to be on the motherboard. My hard drive boots another HR10 but gets an error message about a hardware error. I assume that is because no sat cables were connected. We tried a working power supply out of a RCA DVR40 with no success. No fan or front panel lights. The signals through the ribbon cable must be different. He wasn't comfortable with pulling the PS out of his working HR10 so I don't know if my problem is the PS or the motherboard. It appears that the power supply must be the one specified for the HR10.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    I checked the voltages and have the 5 and 12 present. Not sure about the 18 that is supposed to be on the motherboard. My hard drive boots another HR10 but gets an error message about a hardware error. I assume that is because no sat cables were connected. We tried a working power supply out of a RCA DVR40 with no success. No fan or front panel lights. The signals through the ribbon cable must be different. He wasn't comfortable with pulling the PS out of his working HR10 so I don't know if my problem is the PS or the motherboard. It appears that the power supply must be the one specified for the HR10.
    The error message you got is correct--it is because you are using a drive from another unit.

You cannot use a DVR40 power supply (or drive) in an HR10.

Thanks for the info. Is there any way, short of getting another HR10 and swapping parts, to determine if the problem is the power supply or the motherboard?

GH

Default 12V voltage reading

What is the tolerance for error on the 12V lead going to the drive, mine test at 11.7 is this acceptable. My tivo reboots randomly, I've tried replacing the drive and the error is the same. Is a valid assumption this is a ps problem?