Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can check the output from the PS to the drive. The red/black is 5V and the yellow/black is 12V. The tougher issue is the test from the PS to the motherboard, which is not really plausible.

If your friend is willing, you might try his/her PS in your HR10-250 (or vice versa) to see if you can learn anything that way.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      You can check the output from the PS to the drive. The red/black is 5V and the yellow/black is 12V. The tougher issue is the test from the PS to the motherboard, which is not really plausible.

If your friend is willing, you might try his/her PS in your HR10-250 (or vice versa) to see if you can learn anything that way.
      I checked the voltages and have the 5 and 12 present. Not sure about the 18 that is supposed to be on the motherboard. My hard drive boots another HR10 but gets an error message about a hardware error. I assume that is because no sat cables were connected. We tried a working power supply out of a RCA DVR40 with no success. No fan or front panel lights. The signals through the ribbon cable must be different. He wasn't comfortable with pulling the PS out of his working HR10 so I don't know if my problem is the PS or the motherboard. It appears that the power supply must be the one specified for the HR10.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
        I checked the voltages and have the 5 and 12 present. Not sure about the 18 that is supposed to be on the motherboard. My hard drive boots another HR10 but gets an error message about a hardware error. I assume that is because no sat cables were connected. We tried a working power supply out of a RCA DVR40 with no success. No fan or front panel lights. The signals through the ribbon cable must be different. He wasn't comfortable with pulling the PS out of his working HR10 so I don't know if my problem is the PS or the motherboard. It appears that the power supply must be the one specified for the HR10.
        The error message you got is correct--it is because you are using a drive from another unit.

You cannot use a DVR40 power supply (or drive) in an HR10.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Is there any way, short of getting another HR10 and swapping parts, to determine if the problem is the power supply or the motherboard?

GH

Comment

12V voltage reading

What is the tolerance for error on the 12V lead going to the drive, mine test at 11.7 is this acceptable. My tivo reboots randomly, I've tried replacing the drive and the error is the same. Is a valid assumption this is a ps problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
              Thanks for the info. Is there any way, short of getting another HR10 and swapping parts, to determine if the problem is the power supply or the motherboard?

GH
              Based on the replacement cost of the power supply, we haven't developed a comprehensive alternate test.
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by johnny View Post
                What is the tolerance for error on the 12V lead going to the drive, mine test at 11.7 is this acceptable. My tivo reboots randomly, I've tried replacing the drive and the error is the same. Is a valid assumption this is a ps problem?
                I'm pretty sure that's within range. Was that with a load (drive) connected, though? What symptoms are you having?

Comment

The unit will reboot on random intervals, comes up and runs fine for a while then reboot. That 11.7V was just measured by removing the power cable from the drive and measuring the voltage. I'm not sure how to measure it under load. I replaced the drive with another working drive and the issue is the same so I assume it's not the drive. just looking for some way to confirm before I order a ps.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny View Post
                    The unit will reboot on random intervals, comes up and runs fine for a while then reboot. That 11.7V was just measured by removing the power cable from the drive and measuring the voltage. I'm not sure how to measure it under load. I replaced the drive with another working drive and the issue is the same so I assume it's not the drive. just looking for some way to confirm before I order a ps.
                    In general, rebooting like that usually means a bad drive, not a bad power supply.

Comment

Hey Michael. I'm having trouble that seems a bit different from other users.

My Phillips DSR7000 stuck on the powering up... screen. The original drive (40GB) was squeaking, the added drive (160GB) was fine, but I ordered a preconfigured 320GB drive to replace both of them. After hooking up the new drive, here are my symptoms:

--green light on front is working
                      --fan is spinning
                      --power supply is clicking
                      --new drive isn't spinning.
                      --screen says "powering up..."

All white ribbon cables are connected, and just for laughs, I plugged in my 160GB back into the Tivo and it began spinning. I even took the new drive and plugged it into my PC and it spins there.

So the bottom line is, power supply appears to be working, but new drive won't spin. Old drive will spin. Again, there's a click which makes me think that I need a new power supply. But the fan, light, video output, and old drive spinning make it seem like it's okay.

Ideas?

Michael.

Comment

A clicking power supply definitely isn't a good sign. It may be that the load of the drive is too much for it (since it's likely failing). We have definitely seen situations where the video works even with a bad power supply - although it's not the more common situation. We'd recommend trying a new power supply.

Comment

The problem I'm having is that my Series 240 Tivo crashed and restarted last night, and then in the middle of the night, I started hearing what sounded like it trying to reboot over and over. I pulled the plug and then this morning, I get nothing. The fan turns on, but nothing else powers up. The hard drive doesn't spin up, and no lights at all on the front panel. I tried swapping out the drive with my old one, but no difference. Does this sound like a Power Supply failure? I'd love for this to be the problem since it's an easy fix.
                          Last edited by pdc; 04-25-2007, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdc View Post
                            The problem I'm having is that my Series 240 Tivo crashed and restarted last night, and then in the middle of the night, I started hearing what sounded like it trying to reboot over and over. I pulled the plug and then this morning, I get nothing. The fan turns on, but nothing else powers up. The hard drive doesn't spin up, and no lights at all on the front panel. I tried swapping out the drive with my old one, but no difference. Does this sound like a Power Supply failure? I'd love for this to be the problem since it's an easy fix.
                            Yes - that sounds exactly like a power supply failure.

Comment

TCD540040 power supply question

Hi, I have a TCD540040, and I just replaced my hard drive with a WD1600BB. The old hard drive spins up when plugged in, but the new hard drive does not spin up. Is there something wrong with my power supply? Or is the new hard drive just too much for the current power supply to handle (this doesn't seem likely since the power supply is supposedly rated at 38W)?

According to their labels:
                              Old hard drive: 12V / 790 mA
                              New hard drive: 12V / 900 mA

Thanks!

Comment

That shouldn't pose a problem at all for the power supply. What do you get when you power it up? Are you sure your formatted the drive correctly?

Comment

Working...
                                X