This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
    That shouldn't pose a problem at all for the power supply. What do you get when you power it up? Are you sure your formatted the drive correctly?
    It is stuck at the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen on both the old and the new hard drives. The difference is that the old drive spins up and the new one does not.

I'm 99% sure I formatted the drive correctly using InstantCake on my desktop. InstantCake did the whole "finished baking your cake" thing and it said all I had to do is plug it back into the Tivo. The present problem is that the hard drive doesn't even spin up when I turn the Tivo on.

Thanks!

Comment

I'd try moving the drive back to a PC and see if it spins up there. This could be an early sign of a power supply problem, but to be honest, it doesn't sound like one at all.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
        I'd try moving the drive back to a PC and see if it spins up there. This could be an early sign of a power supply problem, but to be honest, it doesn't sound like one at all.
        Dang, you were right, the drive is dead... it doesn't spin up in the desktop either anymore. What gives? Did the Tivo kill my new drive or was the drive a lemon?

Comment

Never really seen a TiVo kill a drive . . .

Comment

TCD240080 hard drive/power supply

Hi, my hard drive crashed a couple of weeks ago, and I purchased and received a new one from WeaKnees Thursday of last week. I installed the hard drive and things have been great. Until today. I flipped over to watch today, and I had a "no signal". Fan is on, green light is on. I unplugged and then re-plugged, and got the powering up page, then back to black. The hard drive I purchased was a 160gb Seagate DB35 hard drive. Is it possible that my power may have blown because it could not handle this new larger hard drive? Could the new hard drive have went bad so quickly?
            Last edited by bayers63; 06-26-2007, 06:25 PM.

Comment

The power requirements for the new drive are about the same, so that's not likely related.

If you have no drive installed at all, do you get stuck on the "welcome, powering up" screen or do you get black?

Comment

at the moment, when unplugging and plugging back in a couple of times, I get no signal. No more welcome screen at this time. The drive is in the unit, are you saying I should take it out and turn the machine on?

Comment

No - if you get no video at all, it's pretty clear that you have a dead power supply. You can try the same thing without the drive, but it'll likely be identical.

Comment

thanks for the help. Is it common for the power supply to go out less than 2 weeks after a hard drive crash, or am I just filled with bad luck?

Comment

Probably, whatever took out the hard drive, also took out the power supply. Maybe lightning?

Comment

I'm not sure. I'm not aware of any lightening at that time. I just ordered a power supply, so hopefully it will work. I just hope it's not a board problem. Is there anything that usually indicates a for sure board failure?

Comment

If it doesn't boot at all, it's generally isolated to the power supply and/or the drive.

Comment

well, having a week old drive and a new power supply coming tomorrow, I hope it takes care of the problem. Looked at the unit again, and now it's just a no signal screen, and the left front light is kind of "waving" between the green and beige color. I let you know how I fare tomorrow evening with the power supply.

Comment

OK - report back!

Comment

OK, bad news. I put in the new power supply and nothing changed. I pulled the hard drive loose and reconnected, put it back together and plugged it in. I now am formally back to the welcome, powering up screen, fading to black, and back to the same screen. It seems I have the same problem as I had before I bought the new hard drive 2 weeks ago. I secured an RMA from WeaKnees for the hard drive I just bought before I ordered the power supply, but in the email I saw you need the original packaging to return it and my wife threw it away. I guess I'm Tivo-less, down 200 bucks. With a lifetime sub, that really sucks. I emailed WeaKnees a moment ago and asked for an exchange on the hard drive. I hope I can work something out.
                                Last edited by bayers63; 06-29-2007, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X