Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you package the drive very, very carefully (like too much bubble wrap) we'll still take it back - in this case it's not a problem.

The fade to black is really something I haven't seen before. Just a thought: could the unit be in standby? Have you tried pressing the "TiVo" button on the remote when this happens? Have you tried booting with no drive connected at all?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi Mike, they have agree to take it back for repair/exchange.

What is happening right now, is the welcome power up screen. After a minute or so, it disappears, goes to a dark screen, and then powers right back to the welcome screen, almost like it's rebooting (or is). This is what was happening before I got the new hard drive, so I'm hoping I just got a rare bum one. I did try to turn it on without the hard drive plugged in, and the same thing occurred.

Comment

Intermittent Audio Problems

I have a Toshiba Series 2 RS-TX60. It will start clicking and then the audio will drop the right channel. After a few minutes it will come back on. This happens more and more frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by jayhok View Post
          I have a Toshiba Series 2 RS-TX60. It will start clicking and then the audio will drop the right channel. After a few minutes it will come back on. This happens more and more frequently.
          That sounds like a bad motherboard more than a bad power supply, but we do have power supplies for that unit if you want to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            If you package the drive very, very carefully (like too much bubble wrap) we'll still take it back - in this case it's not a problem.

The fade to black is really something I haven't seen before. Just a thought: could the unit be in standby? Have you tried pressing the "TiVo" button on the remote when this happens? Have you tried booting with no drive connected at all?
            I talked with someone at WeaKnees yesterday and they said my hard drive tested OK. I asked them to send it back, and I will put it back in and say a prayer that something happens and it works again though I'm not counting on it. It's a shame after 3 1/2 years the unit has taken a crap. If it doesn't work, does anyone think I have a chance in Tivo letting me transfer my lifetime to another unit? Especially after I have opened up and changed the drive myself??

Comment

HR10-250 Toes Up (overheat error)

My trusty HR10-250 has given up the ghost. After a prolonged power outage Tuesday I got the overheating message during bootup. Heat is not the issue and I don't use the HDMI output at all. The fan is running and the unit lights up, but shows the black/orange overheating screen. From what I read, it would most likely be the HDMI board if I actually used HDMI, or power supply. Where should I start?

Comment

Yep...a faulty power supply is your most likely culprit. Here's a link for a replacement:

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php
                That's all there is to it!

Comment

Help with dying Phillips DSR 708 - power supply?

I'd appreciate some help figuring out whether it is a HD, power supply, or motherboard that is dying on this machine. It has the original WD 80 GB drive and an added on 160 GB Seagate drive. Symptoms were a reboot and freeze at the "just a few more minutes" screen. Pulled the power and restarted it then froze at the "starting up" screen. Interestingly, the power light was not on up front, but the fan was running. I disconnected the HD cable from the motherboard and the power light then lit up front on the unit. If only one HD was attached it would give the starting up screen momentarily and then the power and recording light flashed intermittently different colors. I tried reseating all cables to the drives and to the power supply. I have pulled the drives and backed them up with MFSTools seemingly without problems. I have run diagnostics programs on the drives and not detected any errors.

I'm guessing this is power supply (better) or motherboard (worse). Would like your opinion before investing in the PS.

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by jfkrane View Post
                    I'd appreciate some help figuring out whether it is a HD, power supply, or motherboard that is dying on this machine. It has the original WD 80 GB drive and an added on 160 GB Seagate drive. Symptoms were a reboot and freeze at the "just a few more minutes" screen. Pulled the power and restarted it then froze at the "starting up" screen. Interestingly, the power light was not on up front, but the fan was running. I disconnected the HD cable from the motherboard and the power light then lit up front on the unit. If only one HD was attached it would give the starting up screen momentarily and then the power and recording light flashed intermittently different colors. I tried reseating all cables to the drives and to the power supply. I have pulled the drives and backed them up with MFSTools seemingly without problems. I have run diagnostics programs on the drives and not detected any errors.

I'm guessing this is power supply (better) or motherboard (worse). Would like your opinion before investing in the PS.

Thanks in advance...
                    In all of the tests, do you ALWAYS get at least the gray video out screen with something like "Powering Up" on it? If so, this is most likely a drive problem.
                    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

No. The first time the problem appeared there was some video. Now, there is none at all, but as I said the fan is working and drives checked out OK in my computer.

Comment

Just swapped power supplies from my other Phillips unit and things work fine, so I guess that seals it -- will be ordering a new power supply...Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bayers63 View Post
                          Hi Mike, they have agree to take it back for repair/exchange.

What is happening right now, is the welcome power up screen. After a minute or so, it disappears, goes to a dark screen, and then powers right back to the welcome screen, almost like it's rebooting (or is). This is what was happening before I got the new hard drive, so I'm hoping I just got a rare bum one. I did try to turn it on without the hard drive plugged in, and the same thing occurred.
                          Good news! I got my hard drive back, and the unit is working again. I'm not going to get too excited, it worked for 4-5 days the first time. Anyway, I feel whole again!

Comment

My DVR29 (RCA) has no power light. No Fan, No disk spin. I do hear a faint clicking when power is connected.

I have tried cleaning the ribbon cable contacts and flipped the cable with no luck.

Interestingly, when power is on, with ribbon cable disconnected the hard drive starts up.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?????

Comment

Originally posted by mezzo View Post
                              My DVR29 (RCA) has no power light. No Fan, No disk spin. I do hear a faint clicking when power is connected.

I have tried cleaning the ribbon cable contacts and flipped the cable with no luck.

Interestingly, when power is on, with ribbon cable disconnected the hard drive starts up.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?????
                              I am having the exact same problem (minus the disconnected ribbon cable symptom, which I haven't tried) with my Phillips DSR708 DirecTivo. I'm anxiously awaiting the diagnosis from someone knowledgable!

Comment

Mezzo and boarding_gator, have you tried power supply replacements? That's my guess on your most likely solution.

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php
                                That's all there is to it!

Comment

Working...
                                X