AT&T Series 2 overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T Series 2 overheating

I've had an AT&T Series 2 TiVo basically since it was released. I upgraded it soon after getting it by replacing the original 40 GB drive with a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 120 GB drive. It worked fine for a few years, but last year it started overheating in the summer months. (Ambient room temp. in the high 70's or above.)

Has anyone else seem problems like this? Short of getting an air conditioner, is there a good fix? The one fan in the system seems to be working fine...

I was actually thinking of drilling a few holes in the side of the case and adding an externally vented fan (this unit does not have one...all external ventilation appears to be more-or-less passive...slightly helped be the internal fan...). If I go this route, I will need power. There is a single drive power cable (connected to the drive!) and a small power tap on the motherboard for the internal fan. Can I safely power a second fan off of either of these? Is this a bad idea?

If you haven't done so already, you should get a new fan. You can one here if you want:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-fans.php

You should also consider raising the unit up by putting something beneath all 4 corners (something like a hockey puck).

You can also get a laptop cooler fan to put underneath.

Comment

Fans for AT&T TiVo?

I looked at the referenced page and I don't see any fans listed as compatible with the AT&T TiVo units. Am I missing some alias for this model, or are they not available here?

The fan in this unit is internal, located by a hole in the metal barrier between the power supply and the main motherboard.

Comment

It's there - you likely have either model TCD130040 or TCD230040. Those are the two AT&T models.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X