Hard drives recongnized in boot, but not present in /dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drives recongnized in boot, but not present in /dev

I've only got one Parallel controller on my system, so I'm using a third party PCI controller to connect my drive to my PC. I've already undergone a previous upgrade, so my TDC540040 system now has two drives. What I want to do is copy all that data from those two drive onto two new 250Gers.

The issue is that with the current boot CD from weaknees detects the drives during bootup, but it looks like there's some errors after the detection. When the prompt finally comes up, the drives identified are not in the /dev directory.

during bootup I see complaints that my IDE controllers are "not 100% native mode", then later on I see:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k mls_iso8859-1, errno = 2

Any ideas what I can do to make the drives properly recongnized? Are there known 3rd party PCI controllers that work that I could pick up?

The Promise cards do seem to work with our CD - many are branded by Maxtor. I really just don't know what other cards are compatible. It may be easier to just borrow a PC from a friend that has two IDE ports onboard.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Well, yeah, but I also have to worry about the CD drive for booting. So thats 5 IDE devices total. Is there any way to make the thing boot off a USB key or something?

Comment

We've done the USB key boot here, but it's not something I could really help you with, sorry to say. You could do dd copies from the old to new drives, one at a time, then do an mfsadd.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by jesselangham View Post
          I've only got one Parallel controller on my system, so I'm using a third party PCI controller to connect my drive to my PC. I've already undergone a previous upgrade, so my TDC540040 system now has two drives. What I want to do is copy all that data from those two drive onto two new 250Gers.

The issue is that with the current boot CD from weaknees detects the drives during bootup, but it looks like there's some errors after the detection. When the prompt finally comes up, the drives identified are not in the /dev directory.

during bootup I see complaints that my IDE controllers are "not 100% native mode", then later on I see:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k mls_iso8859-1, errno = 2

Any ideas what I can do to make the drives properly recongnized? Are there known 3rd party PCI controllers that work that I could pick up?
          Try the weaknees_sata.iso. Although primarily intended for Series3 upgrading, it works for Series2 upgrades too. It supports a wide variety of PCI IDE controllers and has a fully populated /dev for the higher drive letters you get with more than 4 ide drives (hda-hdt).

Comment

I just wanted to let you know that I found WK-Michael's suggestion to try the SATA drive ISO (http://www.weaknees.com/weaknees_sata.iso) worked great. Sure enough, I no longer got the "kmod: failed to exec" problem with my CD-ROM, and it worked fine (even though I had only IDE drives and no SATA drives). It did give me one warning message when I did the mount and mfsbackup, saying something about the options I was using are old and will be obsoleted sometime in the future, but that didn't prevent it from correctly created a backup. I was then able to restore from the backup onto a new 500GB Seagate DB35 drive, and my Tivo is up and running just fine!

So I guess as long as the SATA ISO software doesn't obsolete the commands (or if Weaknees would provide alternative instructions for us IDE folks), then this seems like a good solution for anyone encountering this error.

Comment

Working...
            X