Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Standard Definition DirecTV TiVos (or DirecTiVos) - FAQ

- I see that WK has a store, but has your site ever had a Classifieds section, where members could sell their Used & Unused equipment?
    Sorry, we don't.

- do you guys think there will come a time where DirecTV will put an end to TiVo working with the older units/the units that are Not DirecTV DVRs?
    We highly doubt it. TiVo customers are DIRECTV's most loyal. DIRECTV stopped supporting UltimateTV, Microsoft's DIRECTV DVR, a LONG time ago but they are still in the field.

I am getting ready to change careers, the new job will cause me to travel a great deal, for months at a time. I'm not ashamed to say it, I enjoy being entertained by TV, and I'd miss being able to watch TV out on the road.
    I had a thought the other day and I'd like your Opinion/Advice/Suggeston:
    as I stated earlier on this thread, I want to Upgrade my current 38hr unit to somewhere between 250-500GB. Then, I thought I'd buy a 2nd unit in the 250GB size. I'd leave one at home and take the other (filled with recordings) out on the road with me and use it *only* as a player. A couple of months go by and get back home, I simply Switch the 2 units - the Player becomes the Recorder at my home and the Recorder goes out on the road with me as the new Player. Will these units work like that? Do you think DirecTV will have a problem with this? (i know, ask THEM!)
    I don't think DIRECTV would have a problem with this, and yes, the units should work like that.

Unhappy R10 keeps rebooting

Hello, my DirecTV DVR R10 has a WK Maxtor Quickview 250gb expansion drive with the twinbreeze bracket and fans. The original HD is a Western Digital 80gb drive.

The system is constantly rebooting now, starts at the "Welcome, Powering Up" then "Just A Few Minutes More" screen when the front LED goes out and it starts the reboot sequence again. Same sequence as above.

So I'm wondering if this is a HD, power supply or ?? issue?

DirecTV of course just wants to replace it with their non-Tivo box and I cringe at the thought of that. However I'd hate to plunk down ~ $150 for a replacement drive only to find that's not the problem.

Any assistance with this is appreciated.

Thank you... SPRUDO

That's almost definitely a hard drive problem. A "replace" kit for your model should fix the problem:

http://www.weaknees.com/r10a.php

Quote Originally Posted by WK-Jeff View Post
    I don't think DIRECTV would have a problem with this, and yes, the units should work like that.
    I have a HDDVR, a standard receiver and two TIVO units. One of the units was sending spikes causing problems with all my other receivers. They would pixelate and the audio would cut out for anywhere between 1 and 15 seconds.

Nothing more frustrating than to be watching a show and not know what they are saying.

DirecTV came out many times to resolve the issue. They even removed the HDDVR from the multi-switch and re-installed my old dish. The HD no longer had issues but I still had problems with the bedroom TIVO. As it turned out, my Hughes R10 TIVO developed a major problem. Its tuner 2 was sending out voltage spikes to the point that it blew the multi-switch. I replaced the switch only to see the pixelation return.

DirecTV sent me out a DVR to replace the TIVO and I asked the Customer Relations person if I could hook up the TIVO unit to an analog to digital converter so that I could record the movies to my PC. He said that I could if I temporally re-activate the TIVO. It seems that the unit can't access the recording portion without the dish connected and the unit re-activated. He told me that I could call DirecTV and have it reconnected temporarry until I could download the movies and then have the unit de-activated.

I would be interested to know if WK's techs have tried what has been suggested/requested (connect a TIVO to a tv or computer via an analog to digital converter without the satellite dish connected and without any activation) to see if the tv or computer can view the recorded items.

Sure - if the unit can play recordings, then you can grab them on a computer with a video capture card.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey View Post
    I would be interested to know if WK's techs have tried what has been suggested/requested (connect a TIVO to a tv or computer via an analog to digital converter without the satellite dish connected and without any activation) to see if the tv or computer can view the recorded items.
    Quote Originally Posted by WK-Michael View Post
    Sure - if the unit can play recordings, then you can grab them on a computer with a video capture card.
    Is this without connecting the Tivo to a satellite dish prior to booting.
    Last edited by harvey; 05-14-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Yes - that's not a problem at all. Imagine if your dish came down for some reason - DirecTV wouldn't want a good customer locked out of the programming on a DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by WK-Michael View Post
    Yes - that's not a problem at all. Imagine if your dish came down for some reason - DirecTV wouldn't want a good customer locked out of the programming on a DVR.
    OK. I'm going to try to capture my four movies to my computer this weekend. I'll let everyone know what happens; good or bad.

Well I now have some answers plus more questions.

I have an ADS Technologies PYRO A/V Link that I used to capture VHS tapes of our granddaughter. The unit will automatically determine whether the input to it from the VHS or in this case DirecTV Tivo is Analog or Digital.

After waiting for some 10 minutes for the Hughes R-10 to search for the satellite it finally presented me with the menu to view what had been recorded. That problem solved.

I then attempted to capture the video and audio using Dell Movie Studio. I could see/watch the video but it wouldn't capture any data. Says that the DV unit changed.

I then attempted to capture the video and audio using Ulead Video Studio 10; the same software that I captured my VHs tapes. I could watch and listen to the item that I wanted to capture. I started the capture process and everything seemed to go well....Until.... the Tivo unit decided that it wanted to change from Analog to Digital 5 minutes into the capture effectively stopping the capture . Ok, so the unit is transmitting in Digital and not Analog. So I rewind the movie and set the ADS unit to Digital and start the capture once again. OK so far except within the first minute, the ADS changes to Analog and once again stops the capture.

I didn't have this problem with the VHs unit.

So here I am with (as Yule Brenner said in The King and I; "It is a puzzlement.")

I guess I will try again, but this time I will set the Tivo to "Off load to VHs" and see it it jumps between Digital and Analog.

The R10 doesn't output any video digitally; it's all analog. So I'm not sure I follow here.