New drive=new problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New drive=new problem

I have a TCD240040 TiVo (TiVo brand). I was having a prob with the dial-ins where they would get stuck processing data (loading?) and I would have to pull the plug to get the unit going again. But then I ran out of guide data.

At first I thought this was a modem problem, but after research, I see it's a drive problem. So I got a new drive and used your instructions to copy it.

I can't say this was easy, but I got the CD burned and took my PC apart and reconfigured everything and did this copy:

Code:
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdc
    based on your instructions.

The copy finished in about three hours (some parts moved really, really slow and showed some weird info). Because of the amount of time this took, I figured it must have made the copy.

Now, I get this endless loop of staring up -> almost there -> starting up, over and over.

I'll try the copy again tonight, but does it look like I did something wrong here?

There is nothing clearly wrong with the code you used to do the copy. My concern is that you have a bad drive, and MFStool might have skipped over bad parts of your drive, which caused the new drive not to boot properly. It is hard to know for sure.

Failing to load data can indicate a drive issue. One option that you might take is a 'clear and delete everything' on your existing drive. That will wipe your drive clean, but if it works, it could weed out any software corruption, if that is the cause.

Comment

Working...
    X