Capacity did not expand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacity did not expand

I spent sunday afternoon upgrading the drive in my old DirecTivo. I ran the interactive and then printed out the direction to copy all the data from the old one and restore it to the new one.

The original drive was a 40g and the new one was a 80g that I had laying around the house collecting dust. After everything copied over the new drive and I put it back into the DirecTivo, it still says that I have only 35 hours of recording time.

How do I fix it? The step right before the restore stated that it was a 78 hour drive now.

What model TiVo is it? Did you try just using this again to expand:

Code:
    mfsadd -x /dev/hdX
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

It is a Hughes SD-DVR40

I will try that and report back. Thanks!

Comment

That fixed it! Thanks for posting the instructions and for supporting them after the fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          What model TiVo is it? Did you try just using this again to expand:

Code:
          mfsadd -x /dev/hdX
          i have a Samsung SIR-S4040R which had a 40gb drive and I added a 320gb Maxtor but the recording capacity is showing as 120 hours variable.

I set the 40gb as the primary master and the 320gb as the primary slave; I did not have any other hard drives with an OS installed when I booted up from the mfstools cdrom.

at the command prompt, i typed

mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

should I have ran mfsadd -x /dev/hdX after the backup and restore to get more recording hours than what is being displayed under my system settings?

thanks

Comment

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. If you are trying to make the 320gb the "B" drive, then you needed only to use the mfsadd command. Instead, what you have done, is copied the 40gb onto the 320gb, and you might have done the work in the wrong TiVo kernel, yielding only 120 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
              I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. If you are trying to make the 320gb the "B" drive, then you needed only to use the mfsadd command. Instead, what you have done, is copied the 40gb onto the 320gb, and you might have done the work in the wrong TiVo kernel, yielding only 120 hours.
              i have a pc with no hard drives in it or an OS

so I hooked up the 40gb as master (tivo drive) and the 320gb as slave. I want to copy the 40gb to the 320gb and have more than the 120 hours that is available for recording.

but i really screwed up, now both the 40 and the 320 are married and i can't figure out how to undo the marrying of drives
              Last edited by mike_in_salinas; 08-05-2007, 04:41 PM.

Comment

ok to get me backup and running i added a third hard drive to my barebones pc, an 80gb western digital. i ran a backup and restore

mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /dev/hdd

this copied both married drives to the single drive. I have 80 hrs of recording time, but most importantly I didn't completely sink my Tivo.

I am still curious as to how to get more than 120hrs out of the 320gb drive

Comment

Originally posted by mike_in_salinas View Post
                  I am still curious as to how to get more than 120hrs out of the 320gb drive
                  What boot software are you using in the PC when you do the copy?
                  Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                    What boot software are you using in the PC when you do the copy?
                    i boot off of the cdrom either the mfstools or the mfstool with lba support

Comment

Working...
                    X