TiVo Series 2 Black and White video output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo Series 2 Black and White video output

My TiVo recently lost it's color video. I reset the unit through the settings menus, with no change. When I disconnect the power, it resets the unit and works fine.

Within days, the black and white picture returns.

Any help??
    Last edited by austinls; 07-05-2007, 10:17 AM.

What kind of cable are you using to send picture to your television? S-video, composite, coaxial...
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

S-video cable

Comment

Have you tried swapping the cable? The problem you're describing frequently results from a bad s-video cable.

Comment

No, but I surely will. I'll let you know the outcome. Why would rebooting the TiVo correct this, though?
          Last edited by austinls; 07-06-2007, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by austinls View Post
            No, but I surely will. I'll let you know the outcome. Why would rebooting the TiVo correct this, though?
            Sometimes a change in power or signal through a cable will affect it's performance. I hope this is as simple a cable swap, but do let us know...

Comment

Well, it was not a S-Video cable. It is an RCA. I did bypass the TiVo to be sure it was not the TV and not the DTV box. The color and picture were fine when I did this.

Last time it was B&W, I checked and jiggled all the video cables, but no change in the B&W to color.

Any other thoughts?

Comment

Oof. That's not the answer I was hoping for. Well...what about the idea of trying your s-video or the coax cable outs and see if those have color problems as well.

Comment

Last night mine did this 6 times. I replaced the s-video cable and had rebooted it twice. The unit is a dsr704 and just last weeked I found the software had upgraded to 6.3e. I guess now its not the software as this thread started before 6.3e rolled out?

I'm pretty sure its not the tv, I'll have to test some more to be certain.

Comment

If you rule out the TV, then you likely have a bad motherboard, which is unfortunately not going to prove cost-effective to repair, given the cost of a replacement chassis.

Also, in another post you said you were using RCA (yellow) video; but then refer to S-video. If you have been using S-video, then try using yellow/RCA/composite video.

Comment

I will be out this weekend, I'm going to try next week.

I've not hooked up yellow rca video. But the unit was purchased just a month ago from weaknees. I will rule out everything I can, we've got a few movies to watch on it.

Comment

Ok, still haven't ruled out the tv, but getting closer.

It does it over both s-video cables and the yellow rca video cable. The tv on screen display does show color when its black and white on the tivo. As soon as we hit pause or skip back on the tivo, the video goes back to color.

I'm planning on hooking up a vcr to the tivo and pass through video to the tv, hoping to record it happening. If it records it, its the tivo, if not, its the tv. Now where are those blank vhs's. hmm....
                        Last edited by Frostwolf; 09-04-2007, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I have the same problem all of the sudden the picture turns black and white and if hit the skip or pause button it goes back to color and I thought it was the tv and now starting thinking mabey its the Tivo unit , I have the samsung sir-s4040r and its quite few years old I have directv and they don't have tivo anymore. The tv I have is samsung DLP.

Dale

Comment

Are you using S-Video? Most often, it's a bad S-Video cable.
                            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I've had the same problem and now its all black and white all the time and its the TIVO not the TV. I think its a built in thing so you have to throw them away after about 3 or 4 years. You know planed obsolescence, its what our country is all about, come on you know this, right? I'm pretty pissed about it as I paid around $300 for mine about 3 years ago. Its not the cables so don't waste your time. Mine would reset if I unplugged it for a while this worked for about a year but its all over now just black and white.

Comment

Working...
                              X