No announcement yet.

TiVo Series 2 Black and White video output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is really almost always an S-video problem. Are you using S-video, or something else?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I have the same problem as posted at the top of this thread (in 2007!):
      "lost it's color video. I reset the unit through the settings menus, with no change. When I disconnect the power, it resets the unit and works fine." except that my unit goes back to black and white in minutes. Replacing cables (composite, coaxial) does not help and the TV works fine if fed directly. My unit is a series 2 with 2 tuners (no idea what specific model). I have read of this problem here and elsewhere but never read that a solution was found. I think I may have to agree with the previous post #15.

Comment

I'm sorry to say, I haven't seen a TiVo just lose color after a few minutes. So I'm not really sure what it can be beyond a motherboard problem at that point.

Comment

unusual symptoms re: color

Here are some even more unusual symptoms re: color/black & white that I have not seen reported anywhere. On playback my Series 2 Tivo will start out OK but as time goes on the colors start to fade to black and white BUT not for the entire screen. Certain items remain in color while others turn black and white so for instance, you may have a street scene with a colored shirt on a person and color on a car but the rest of the scene turns B & W. Eventually the whole picture turns B & W but if you tap the top of the unit it "fixs" it but only for a short time, then it starts fading again. It is not a TV problem and I will try changing the the S video cable tonight but assuming that's not the problem (the tapping the unit correction makes me doubt it is the cable) any other ideas or suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by macbec29 View Post
            Here are some even more unusual symptoms re: color/black & white that I have not seen reported anywhere. On playback my Series 2 Tivo will start out OK but as time goes on the colors start to fade to black and white BUT not for the entire screen. Certain items remain in color while others turn black and white so for instance, you may have a street scene with a colored shirt on a person and color on a car but the rest of the scene turns B & W. Eventually the whole picture turns B & W but if you tap the top of the unit it "fixs" it but only for a short time, then it starts fading again. It is not a TV problem and I will try changing the the S video cable tonight but assuming that's not the problem (the tapping the unit correction makes me doubt it is the cable) any other ideas or suggestions?
            This is most likely a motherboard problem.

Comment

"This is most likely a motherboard problem."

does that mean my 3 year old TIVO DVR is shot and I lose my lifetime subscription?

Comment

You didn't say what model TiVo you have, but we can fix most motherboard issues, just use our TiVo repair contact form.

Comment

Might have the answer

I am having this color fade in/out problem with my Samsung Sir-S4040r series 2 dvr. I have replaced the hard drive via weaknees but to no avail. My internet searching showed a bad capacitor on the s-video output feed might be the culprit. This .1uf capacitor is only about $1.50. Any idea where I can find a motherboard schematic for the Samsung Sir-S4040r? My brother-in-law is real good at these things.

Comment

Sorry to say, no, we don't know of anywhere to get the schematics. But if you find out . . . we'd love to know.

Comment

Working...
                    X