Are your HR20's owned or leased??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are your HR20's owned or leased??

It was my understanding that all new DirectTV DVR's are leased and have to be returned at end of contract. Also, it means we can't legally upgrade them ourselves. Can your upgrades be resold on E-Bay, for example? Or is a $1000 upgrade going back to DirectTV? Second, DirectTV fixes leased machines--which is all HR20's; what happens to these upgraded machines when they break? Is all support from Weaknees?? And what is that, and for how long?

I am a happy WK customer--both my SDTivos are running your upgrades.

1) Opening a unit voids the terms of its warranty
    2) A leased unit, yes, is Directv's property and will need to be returned to them if they ask for it when you terminate service
    3) If you own your unit, you may sell it, and/or its hard drives to whomever you like
    4) Directv typically will replace units rather than repair them. If you happened to send them an HR10 for repair, in all likelihood you'll get back an HR20. And if you send them an upgraded unit, chances are you'll get back a stock unit.
    5) Both Directv and WeaKnees offer 90 day warranties on the HR20's. If, after that period, you experience problems with your HR20, weaKnees is willing to assist in the exchange of your unit through Directv and will, when possible, move your upgraded capacity to your replacement. Service fees apply, so please feel free to call or email regarding your specific situation.
    Last edited by WK-Jason; 07-10-2007, 11:13 AM.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jason View Post
      5) Both Directv and WeaKnees offer 90 day warranties on the HR20's. If, after that period, you experience problems with your HR20, weaKnees is willing to assist in the exchange of your unit through Directv and will, when possible, move your upgraded capacity to your replacement. Service fees apply, so please feel free to call or email regarding your specific situation.
      I agree with everything except for number five. DTV gives a one year warranty on leased/owned HR20s. Not 90 days. If it fails after 11 months, it's replaced for free (from DTV).

You can purchase an HR20 (owned) it costs you $750 though. Supposedly the cost of the unit to DTV. Probably includes R & D costs.

You can also upgrade the HR20 via the ESATA port, so when you cancel DTV you can keep the upgraded hard disk array, dare I say, use it for something else?

Comment

Hmm...thanks for the info, personman. We basically operate off of what we can see in writing, and for the HR20, that's 90 days parts and labor. However I realize that in practice things could be a little different.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jason View Post
          Hmm...thanks for the info, personman. We basically operate off of what we can see in writing, and for the HR20, that's 90 days parts and labor. However I realize that in practice things could be a little different.
          It is 90 days for service calls/ tech visits.

Comment

Not according to the manual. But I'd love to know different if that's the case. Can you find something in writing?

Comment

Working...
            X