Upgrade did not change recording capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade did not change recording capacity

Purchased an 500g upgrade kit for my series 2 Tivo unit from WeaKnees. Installed it per instructions (which were very well organized - thanks). No powering up issues. Advanced through all the screens normally. Everything works normally. All my previous recordings and settings are in tact. I checked my recording capacity in settings. Found that the recording capacity had NOT changed. Was expecting a 600hour+ bump from the new WeaKnees second 500gig drive (Seagate). Have rechecked every setting (jumper), reinstaled every connection (to make sure they are right and are snug), checked the pins (no bent pins). So far nothing works. Anyone have any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

Could have been a formatting problem here, but has the original drive been modified in any way?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

No, it's the same one I have had since I got the unit. It came from WeaKnees. This is the first time the unit was opened.

Comment

Same problem

I have the same problem, sort of. I pulled a WeaKnees drive out of an SVR-2000 that a friend of mine had upgraded previously. But it wasn't a lifetime membership, so I pulled the drive out of that one and put it into my lifetime SVR-2000.

But it's doing exactly as Alexander's seeing. In System Information, it is not seeing the additional drive.

I've tried a couple things with jumper settings on the drives and that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Comment

TiVo Series 3 Hard Drive Upgrade

I upgraded my hard drive (replaced original drive) using the weaKnees_sat.iso CD. The drive copied and I can boot with the new drive, but I don't think the new drive is set up to use all 500 GB. I used the instructions from the EngagetHD website, however, I was not able to execute this command:
          ./mfstool add -x /dev/sdb -r 4

According to the instructions, if I could execute that command, it should respond with:

Current estimated standalone size: 282 hours
          Adding pair /dev/sdb14-/dev/sdb15...
          New estimated standalone size: 581 hours (299 more)
          Done! Estimated standalone gain: 299 hours

I have removed my original TiVo HD from my computer, but would like to execute the command to increase the usable space on my new drive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
          Last edited by ryano; 08-17-2007, 07:25 PM.

Comment

What error do you get? You shouldn't need the "./" if you boot from our CD, and you should put the "-r 4" before the drive specifier.

Comment

TiVo Series 3 Hard Drive Upgrade

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
              What error do you get? You shouldn't need the "./" if you boot from our CD, and you should put the "-r 4" before the drive specifier.
              I booted using the MFSTOOL Boot CD with only my new Tivo HD. I typed:
              /# mfstool add -x -r 4 /dev/sda

Response:
              /dev/sda: Read-only file system
              /dev/sda10: Illega seek
              mfs_load_volume_header: mfsvol_read_data: Input/output error
              Unable to open MFS drives

I'm not sure if this helps, but when I type: "cat /proc/partitions", it shows:
              8 0 104857 sda
              56 0 134217727 hdi
              56 13 85959995 hdi13

If I messed something up, I'm happy to start over but I didn't see any instructions for formatting a drive, and I'm not sure if I can just put both drives in and start over. Thanks again for your help, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

That's pretty strange. Did you do a "DD" for the first copy, or what method was it?

Comment

That's pretty strange. Did you do a "DD" for the first copy, or what method was it?
                  Yes, I copied the drive using this command:
                  dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1024k

What would you suggest I do now?

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

This is a new TiVo, so I don't have any recorded shows or programming that I need to save. I would like to upgrade the hard drive and start using it. Right now it's on the floor next to my computer.

Is it possible to reformat the new hard drive from either Windows Vista or a Linux Boot CD and start over?

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

Just use our instructions to do it all in one step:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com

You don't need to reformat; mfs will just overwrite what you had.

Comment

Just use our instructions to do it all in one step:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com

You don't need to reformat; mfs will just overwrite what you had.
                        I tried using the tivo upgrade instructions, but got the following error:

Primary Volume header corrupt, trying backup.
                        Secondary volume header corrupt, giving up.
                        mfs_load_volume_header: Bad Checksum.
                        mfsbackup: Backup failed to startup. Make sure you specified the right devices, and that the drives are not locked.
                        Restore failed: -: Success

I have a TiVo HD (TCD652160), not a TiVo (648250). My model is not specifically listed in the instructions.
                        Is that the reason for my problems?

I saw a download to unlock a drive, but I didn't see instructions. Do you think my drive is locked?
                        If so, how can I run the unlock program? I'm not sure how to get to the file if I boot with the WeaKnees_sata disk.

Is there a way to tell if I corrupted my original disk?
                        If so, is there a way to do this without using the original disk?
                        (although the TiVo does work with either drive)

Thanks again for your help.
                        Last edited by ryano; 08-20-2007, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I was finally able to upgrade my TiVo HD hard drive using a boot CD from mfslive and the following command to copy from my original drive to my new drive:

backup -qTao - /dev/sda | restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/sdb

Comment

Right - our instructions and tools don't support the TiVo HD - at least yet. MFSLive does.

Comment

Working...
                            X