Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think your tivo hard drive is dead? Here's how to find out...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think your tivo hard drive is dead? Here's how to find out...

Seeing that the hard drives in tivo units are constantly working: buffering incoming live tv data, writing your season passes, playing back recorded programs and erasing old unwanted programs, the hard drives used in tivos are bound to develop bad sectors or corrupt data at some point in time. Wether it be freezing, pixellization, random reboots, or everyone's favorite GSOD (Green Screen of Death), your tivo has many ways of letting you know your hard drive may be in jeopardy.
    So for those of you who have the time and technical prowess, here's how to find out if your drive has kicked the bucket and if all of your episodes of Battlestar Galactica have been lost with no chance of recovery.

If you are using a Seagate drive, you can download Seagate's diagnostic tools here

If you are using a Maxtor drive, you can download Maxtor's diagnostic tools here Edit: use the Seagate tools for Maxtor drives now that they are the same company

If you are using a Western Digital drive, you can download Western Digital's diagnostic tools here

and finally, for the few folks that might have a Samsung drive, go here to download Samsung's diagnostic tool
    Last edited by WK-Michael; 06-09-2010, 05:54 AM.
    Wiva Las Wegas

newbee here!

After downloading the diagnostic for the drive, then what?
    Install the drive in my pc tower to check it? or what?
    Thanks

Comment

Correct; after downloading the utility, follow the instructions provided to test your drive. Generally, you will create a DOS boot disk and boot to the disk, with the drive connected to your PC's IDE cable.

Comment

Computer Format

I own a MAC will the downloads work on my format.

I was told that my Tivo 2 series --the hard drive is dead--I had been on a business trip for 10 days and when I arived home i was greeted with the welcome screen and seems to be stuck on the Weclome!!! powering up... Screen -- I have tried several times to reboot by turning the power off,waiting then turning the power back on again

NG-- My direct Tv is hooked up to my Tivo-- the Tivo is connected to a phone line. The Tivo is only 2 years old-- one year it wasn't even hooked up --My brother bought this DVR from Tivo for me and he also bought a subscription to make a long story short I ended up calling a year before I even hooked up the tivo so my warranty is no good- I had called Customer service the other day and was told that it would cost me $149.00 to replacethe DVR- but that would be an upgrade from my 40 hour to an 80 hour recorder --should I try the Kit?get it replaced and hope that this doesn't happen again? is the kit less than the replace?

asking for your help -- thanks for your time with this matter-Hoosey

Comment

Most of these downloads are DOS only - some are DOS and Windows. We don't think any work on Mac, sorry to say.

Your symptoms do sound like a dead hard drive. Considering that, we'd really say you don't need to waste the time testing. Just get a "replace" type upgrade kit from here. For $139, you'll get 140 hours, and it'll be much faster . . .
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Computer Format

I own a MAC will the downloads work on my format.

I was told that my Tivo 2 series digital video recorder(that is what it reads in the upper left hand corner) --the hard drive is dead--I had been on a business trip for 10 days and when I arived home i was greeted with the welcome screen and seems to be stuck on the Weclome!!! powering up... Screen -- I have tried several times to reboot by turning the power off,waiting then turning the power back on again

NG-- My direct Tv is hooked up to my Tivo-- the Tivo is connected to a phone line. The Tivo is only 2 years old-- one year it wasn't even hooked up --My brother bought this DVR from Tivo for me and he also bought a subscription to make a long story short I ended up calling a year before I even hooked up the tivo so my warranty is no good- I had called Customer service the other day and was told that it would cost me $149.00 to replacethe DVR- but that would be an upgrade from my 40 hour to an 80 hour recorder - and even better news they will roll over my lifetime subscription --right now it feels like a waste of money -should I try the Kit?get it replaced and hope that this doesn't happen again? is the kit less than the replace? or shouls I go to Best Buy get an extended warrantythis way I know it'll be covered for more than two years? If i do take this route what is a good model fro me to purchase?

asking for your help -- thanks for your time with this matter-Hoosey

Comment

Double post? Answers are above it.

Comment

hard drive issues?

i think one or both of my hard drives might be toast, and i'd like to get them replaced...my unit was originally upgraded by you about 2 years ago...

do i have to replace both drives with identical capacity ones, or is the overall storage capacity of the unit the only thing that matters?

can i send my unit to you and have you replace the drives for me?

help!!!

Comment

You can replace your exisiting drive(s) with single or dual drives of any capacity you like. And yes, we're happy to do the installation here for you.

Either choose your model from this page:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php

...then choose a replace drive kit and add the Standard Installation Service to the order.

Or give us a call and have one of our support staff help you place the order. We're here Monday through Friday, 9-5 Pacific time at 888-WEAKNEES (888-932-5633)
                  Last edited by WK-Jason; 01-03-2007, 03:37 PM.
                  That's all there is to it!

Comment

Hello everyone. I'm glad I found this forum. Hopefully you all can help. My problem is similar to several that I've seen on this board. I have a Tivo Series 2 TCD540040. Right now it's taking the incoming signal from a regular "bunny ears" antenna because we haven't been able to justify affording cable. The output goes into an A/V receiver then to the TV. When I plug it in, the fans start spinning and lights come on in front and shows the "powering up" screen. After about 10-15 sec, the screen goes gray and stays there indefinitely until I unplug the unit. Any thoughts? Thank in advance for the input.

J

Comment

Originally posted by studiostud View Post
                      Hello everyone. I'm glad I found this forum. Hopefully you all can help. My problem is similar to several that I've seen on this board. I have a Tivo Series 2 TCD540040. Right now it's taking the incoming signal from a regular "bunny ears" antenna because we haven't been able to justify affording cable. The output goes into an A/V receiver then to the TV. When I plug it in, the fans start spinning and lights come on in front and shows the "powering up" screen. After about 10-15 sec, the screen goes gray and stays there indefinitely until I unplug the unit. Any thoughts? Thank in advance for the input.

J
                      Is your screen a solid gray, or does it have words on it? Do the lights on the front of your unit respond when you press buttons on the remote? Are you using the factory drive?

Comment

Drives Test Fine, but Stuck on Powering Up

I have a TDC 140060 that has been upgraded to two WD 120Gb WD1200JB drives. Worked fine for a couple of years.

I unplugged it. I plugged it back in. It is now stuck on Powering Up and reboots every 20 seconds or so. Never gets beyond the gray Powering Up screen. On first starting, the front lights come on, but after the first reboot they stay off.

I used the Western Digital diagnostics and they say both drives are fine.

I bought SpinRite and ran it and it, too, says both drives are fine.

So if it is not the drives....and I have video.... What's up?

Ike

Comment

I reinstalled the original drive and it works fine. But the newer drives, although they test OK, still hang on a cycling reboot of Welcome. Powering Up....

Either something all the drive diags did not catch or data corruption.

If it is data corruption, do I have any way to fix the system files? Any way to save the recordings?

Ike

Comment

You can try a copy to a new set of drives - it's often the case that in the environment a of PC copy (more linear and less demanding) that failing drives perform well enough for a non-corrupt data copy.

Comment

Sounds relatively straightforward, one drive pair at a time in the right positions in the PC.

What software tools / commands do I need?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X