Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think your tivo hard drive is dead? Here's how to find out...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, but I don't have the power supply output voltages. If you order a drive as part of the flat-fee repair, and if you make the request in the customer notes field of your order, we will attempt the data copy.

Comment

• series 2 picture and sound lock ups

l have a TiVo player TCD649080 with an upgraded drive that has worked now for over 2 years. Now it's experiencing random picture and audio freezing with rapid pixel growth until it eventually shuts down and restarts itself. After it does that, it's a crap shoot as to whether or not it will work properly. By that I mean sometimes it will come up and work fine and others it will come up and lock up again. Could this be my drive or graphics card? I don't remember what size drive it was upgraded to although under recording capacity it says 'up to 270g'. Also, when I purchased this unit along with the upgraded drive, they did send me the original 80g drive....just not sure what's on it. Can I install it to see if it will work to rule out my upgraded drive or will this cause me not to be able to access my data on the upgraded drive ever again? The wife has a lot of Dr Oz shows on it she wants....lol. I am now trying to send these shows over to my PC but since my TiVo keeps freezing up and rebooting.....the sent over shows are not playing well on PC.
      Last edited by Mack III; 09-07-2011, 12:39 AM. Reason: changed title

Comment

• I would try a kickstart 54 on the drive:

http://www.weaknees.com/54
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          I would try a kickstart 54 on the drive:

http://www.weaknees.com/54

Question?? When running SMART test should my screen be showing a test time estimate and an elapsed time as soon as you run this test? I see no times shown.

Mine just comes up with a (green) Test passed...... shown just below the Hard-drive S.M.A.R.T. Test and above the Initial state and just sits there. Not sure if it's hung and not running or needs to be left along to run longer.

Comment

• It's a pretty quick test - I don't think there's a counter. If it says passed, fine, it's done. Try the overnight test.

Comment

It's a pretty quick test - I don't think there's a counter. If it says passed, fine, it's done. Try the overnight test.

OK I will give the overnight test a go as I believe the SMART test is truly not working properly per the example screen you show on your site.

As soon as I hit enter for the SMART test it pops up "test passed" without going thru ...... Initial state, Short test, conveyance test, etc. I never get any "test passed" next to those test

thx

Comment

• Ok ran "over night test" and it passed after running for about 10hrs. My unit appears to still exhibit the video/audio pixel freezing along with the shut down and restarting itself. One other thing I've noticed also is that after it resets itself and comes up to TiVo Central, it will not accept any selections from my remote at times (batteries good) or they are accepted after a long delay. In fact everything now seems to have a delay.......channel changing with sometimes a delayed next channel info overlay or if I select TiVo Central there is a delay there as well with some GUI overlapping as well. Could this still be my drive or maybe a graphics card?
                Last edited by Mack III; 09-07-2011, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• You might have a bad power supply then. See this info:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps

Comment

You might have a bad power supply then. See this info:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps

Hey Michael,
                    Sorry for just getting back as I was out of town. After close examination of my power supply I did notice that there was one bulging cap on it. So I guess I will go ahead and order a supply.

Comment

• Well Mike after ordering a new power supply, turns out it's not the supply but the hard drive after all. I found this to be true as when I installed and tried the original 80g (not the 250g upgraded that appears bad), my system now works! I wish I had tried this drive out prior to ordering a power supply but all my hard drive diags passed and you suggested it could be a bad supply. So I ordered one not knowing that I could revert back to my original (I bought my system with the upgraded drive).

Is there any way of maybe getting a discount if I were to order an upgraded 320g drive since I already purchased a power supply I don't need? I mean if I were to return the new supply back I am out for a 15% restock fee plus the 3 day rush shipping I paid for.

Thanks
                      Last edited by Mack III; 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• We unfortunately don't offer discounts like that, but you are more than welcome to email us to obtain return instructions.

Comment

• The Hex Heads On My Box Seem To Be Stripped. I Have Never Took Them Out But I Was Able To Loosen Only 1.now What?

Comment

• Pliers? Drill?

Comment

• Originally posted by rfj View Post
                              My TIVO screen is black, I can retrieve taped programs on second machine. Is it fixable
                              I'm glad I found this forum. My TIVO screen is black,too

Comment

• Hi--

I have a Sony Tivo Series 1 that for whatever reason is not working, and I am looking for help to narrow down the problem.

Right now I am able to watch TV through the Tivo, as the unit is on and it is passing through the signal. If I unplug the box and power it on, I get the same pass-through signal. The left Power On light comes on and I can hear the drives spin up. That is about the extent of the boot up. It never gets to the "Please wait" screen. Also, pressing the yellow button on the remote does nothing.

Is this a symptom of a bad drive? Or something else?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X