Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Think your tivo hard drive is dead? Here's how to find out...

Quote Originally Posted by studiostud View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm glad I found this forum. Hopefully you all can help. My problem is similar to several that I've seen on this board. I have a Tivo Series 2 TCD540040. Right now it's taking the incoming signal from a regular "bunny ears" antenna because we haven't been able to justify affording cable. The output goes into an A/V receiver then to the TV. When I plug it in, the fans start spinning and lights come on in front and shows the "powering up" screen. After about 10-15 sec, the screen goes gray and stays there indefinitely until I unplug the unit. Any thoughts? Thank in advance for the input.

J
    Is your screen a solid gray, or does it have words on it? Do the lights on the front of your unit respond when you press buttons on the remote? Are you using the factory drive?

Default Drives Test Fine, but Stuck on Powering Up

I have a TDC 140060 that has been upgraded to two WD 120Gb WD1200JB drives. Worked fine for a couple of years.

I unplugged it. I plugged it back in. It is now stuck on Powering Up and reboots every 20 seconds or so. Never gets beyond the gray Powering Up screen. On first starting, the front lights come on, but after the first reboot they stay off.

I used the Western Digital diagnostics and they say both drives are fine.

I bought SpinRite and ran it and it, too, says both drives are fine.

So if it is not the drives....and I have video.... What's up?

Ike

I reinstalled the original drive and it works fine. But the newer drives, although they test OK, still hang on a cycling reboot of Welcome. Powering Up....

Either something all the drive diags did not catch or data corruption.

If it is data corruption, do I have any way to fix the system files? Any way to save the recordings?

Ike

You can try a copy to a new set of drives - it's often the case that in the environment a of PC copy (more linear and less demanding) that failing drives perform well enough for a non-corrupt data copy.

Sounds relatively straightforward, one drive pair at a time in the right positions in the PC.

What software tools / commands do I need?

Thanks!

See this site for help:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com

I have an HR10-250 that is continually rebooting; powering up, almost there, green screen of death, restart, etc.

DirectTV say it's 'definitely a bad hard drive.' They're sending me a FREE HR20. They say I'll "own, not lease" it and there will be no additional commitment. Fine. I'll use that while I fix my HR10-250, then sell the HR20 on eBay. (If I can.)

However, can anyone here confirm that it's 'definitely a bad hard drive?' If so I may try the diagnostic options listed at the start of this thread and/or buy an upgrade/repair kit from Weaknees. If *not* I don't want to waste my time.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks to all in advance...

Barry

(1) The manufacturer's diagnostic tools may have an option to try to repair the disk. Is this a good idea or a bad idea with a Tivo drive?

(2) My PC has no provision for internal expansion. Is there a way to connect the drive externally in order to run diagnostics?

Quote Originally Posted by bimplebean View Post
    I have an HR10-250 that is continually rebooting; powering up, almost there, green screen of death, restart, etc.

DirectTV say it's 'definitely a bad hard drive.' They're sending me a FREE HR20. They say I'll "own, not lease" it and there will be no additional commitment. Fine. I'll use that while I fix my HR10-250, then sell the HR20 on eBay. (If I can.)

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks to all in advance...

Barry
    Yes, I have some thoughts. I think it's downright immoral to accept a Free DVR from Direct TV and then fix yours and sell the new one on eBay.

I thought I had the same problem. Last year, I bought a TCD refurb fromn TiVo, and shortly after bought a WK 500G secondary drive w/kit. All worked fine for several months. Then disaster struck! Tivo constantly cycles "Welcome! Powering Up...". So I figure my original 40gb main drive is fragged. I just replaced it with a new 500G drive from WK tonight. Plugged it all back together (both 500G drives, the new main drive jumpered from WK as CS and the second unchanged as slave), however I still get the same welcome screen cycling. any chance this could be caused by the secondary drive? that's what i'm going to try next, by unplugging it.

m