Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think your tivo hard drive is dead? Here's how to find out...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's great. Very glad to hear it.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

My Phillips 704 DirecTivo is stuck on the 2nd screen that says "just a few minutes more" and then it just sits there. It has the 40Gig original drive and your 160Gig upgrade from a couple years ago.

I took it apart and checked the power supply. Seemed OK, the voltages were steady. I then hooked the drives to slave power supplies and it still was the same so I think it isn't a PS problem.

Anyways, I think the original drive might be bad because it feels like it has a slight vibration.

I've got about 120 hrs of stuff on there, including about 15 PPV movies that I never watched. Is it possible to recover that material? If so, how? And does Weaknees do that if I were to send it in?

Thanks,

George

Comment

Sorry to say, but it sounds unlikely that you'll be able to recover your programming if you can't get past that "a few minutes more" screen. My suggestion would be to get a replace kit drive to replace the drives you currently have in.

Comment

corrupt software

I have a hard drive that tests out fine so I believe it has corrupted software. This occured after an electrical surge. How can I replace the software and perserve the info for the programs that I had saved?

I have a clean drive for the directtv unit which works fine.

thanks

Comment

If it's truly OK (fairly unlikely to have software-only problems with Linux) then you need to get a clean image. It sounds like you have two units, so if so, you can use the image from the other. Once you get the drive in the unit, you'll need to do a "clear and delete everything" to reserialize the drive.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I believe I know how to copy the image from one drive to another.

However, if I do a "clear and delete everything" to reserialize the drive will that not remove all my saved programs?

thanks

Comment

Yes, clear & delete will effectively erase or render unusable any existing settings or stored programs.

Comment

Stuck on a gray screen that says, "Powering up…"

Well, at least I thought it was the hard drive! That's what it was the last 2 times - increasingly frequent pix freeze-up, then only "Welcome, Powering Up..." upon reboot. And so I installed a new 250GB replacement drive from Weaknees (Order #432823) to replace the dual config original 40GB and added Weaknees 160GB. (BTW, I have a Philips DSR704.) I left the 2 drive bracket in because I cannot find the original metal side brackets for a single drive.

I thought I was "home free", and then the DVR froze in the Guided Setup waiting for me to hit "Select". I rebooted and finished the Guided Setup, was watching a show, and then after 15 minutes or so the pix froze. I rebooted, and the pix froze again, this time after about 10 minutes. I rebooted, and got stuck on the "Welcome, Powering up..." screen. Further reboots resulted in the same "Welcome...". Some Welcome, eh?

The drive still spins up. All the cable connections are solid. I replaced the drive cable with an old (slots at either end of the connector instead of a centered notch) bu never-used one. I plugged the power supply cable directly into the drive, instead of through extensions (used for the dual drive configuration). I think I've done everything recommended in the Weaknees Troubleshooting pages. No change. Still stuck on "Welcome, Powering up...".

Then I started looking through this forum/thread. SOSB seems to have had similar symptoms, and the pix in the post looks exactly like my power supply, right down to the apparently overheated component, although my "white goo" just looks brown, not melted as in the posted pix.

So.... Unless someone at Weaknees has a different suggestion, like a bad replacement drive (hint, hint), I'm going to order a replacement power supply.

Note: I posted to this thread as a counterpoint to the common assumption that these symptoms are usually caused by hard drive failure, and it seems like they are or were. However, as these units get older, it looks like the power supply is becomming a more frequent culprit. This also seems to be borne out by a few similar experiences that have been posted in this thread and in the "Tivo Hardware Forum"|"Power Supply Problems - FAQ" thread. Maybe there is a way to distinguish between the 2 causes and Weaknees can add that to their (already quite good) Troubleshooting pages.

I'll keep you all posted.....

Comment

Originally posted by sosb View Post
                    All of the cabling seems secure, but there is one area on the motherboard that looks like it may have been excessively hot at some point. I don't recall if it was like this previously. I did notice that the secondary fan on the bracket that came with the upgrade does not spin when powered up, it tries and creeps, but hardly moves. The fan at the back of the unit still works fine, and that's the side with the area where it looks like possible overheating took place, see attached.
                    Isn't the secondary fan temperature controlled? It seems to me mine has a sensor on the bottom of the fan. It only comes on when it is hot enough. And when it is close to the temp threshold, mine does seem to "creep" a bit before it spins fully.

Comment

Powering Up Hang

Two days ago my directv tivo froze with a static image. Upon rebooting the machine (powered down, pulled card) the unit hung on "welcome powering up". Upon reading all of the related threads I could find, it appears that the problem is a crashed hard-drive. Looks like my options are to replace the drive. I have a spare hard-drive that was not ever in a Tivo unit. I do have one working unit still remaining. It is an R10 unit the other unit (broken) was the older 35 hour unit. So.. my question is aside from buying a WK replace kit. Could I get the image off of the R10 unit and image the spare drive and replace in the broken unit, or would the images not be compatible? If this is doable could you point me in the right direction of how I would accomplish this? If not will a replace kit be a simple plug and play installation?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Boomer...your response is posted in the other thread here:

http://www.wkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1018

Comment

Tivo dsr708 No signal

I just purchesed a used Phillips Tivo dsr708 from ebay(before I found this site) and when I connected it, the reciever goes through all of the welcome screens and Tivo central but will not recieve a satilite signal. I have a Directv Plus that works correctly I just don't like it, I prefer Tivo. This reciever does everything except recieve a satilite signal. I have done everything I know to do but can't get a signal through any of the transponders. Any suggestions or is it hopeless?

Comment

Can you get a refund from your eBay seller? A dead sat input is a motherboard problem. It can be repaired, but it is not likely to prove cost-effective to do so.

Comment

I probably can, but I only paid $60.00 for it. Do you think it would be benificial to repair it or just get my money back? It appears to not have been abused and supposidly alreay has a 80g hard drive. Thanks for your response.

Comment

It's looking like I'm stuck with this thing, How can I go about getting a estimate on the motherboard repair?

Comment

Working...
                                X