Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to purchase upgrade, but have question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to purchase upgrade, but have question..

I have been reading on these forums to get this question answered, but some of the responses go into technical terms and i am totally lost. I have the Hughes HDVR2 35 hours. I would like to upgrade to a bigger hard drive because this one is slowing dying (programs have become virtually unwatchable). However, I was wondering if there is a way to save the programs before installing the new hard drive? Would I have to save it on my computer to do that? I would like to do it myself because I would go through Tivo withdrawals if I had to send to WeaKnees to do it. Thanks for help.

Based on the condition of your drive, it sounds to me like saving the programming is unlikely. If you still want to try, you can either send it in for a copy attempt (Deluxe Professional Upgrade) or you can try the procedure yourself in Linux (which, from what I'm gathering, you probably aren't into).

My suggestion would be to order a replace drive kit and install a new drive yourself at home, which simply requires that you be handy with a screwdriver and willing to follow our user-friendly instructions.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-hughes-hdvr2.php
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

No, I have never done anything with Unix. But if there are instructions, I would like to try. Could I cause damage to my actual Tivo box or just to the programs that are on the drive if something goes awry? If it's just to the programs, I would like to give it a try. Are there instructions on the forum for doing that? I would need step by step instructions tho.

Comment

You can't really damage the TiVo with the hard drive. Just make certain the cables are all firmly seated when you power up the unit. The step by step procedure can be found here:

www.upgrade-instructions.com
        That's all there is to it!

Comment

Working...
        X