Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hr10-250 interactive.. upgrade question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hr10-250 interactive.. upgrade question.

I was reading through the site, and am a little confused on the instructions.

I have a fully functional HR10-250, single drive unit. I want to REPLACE that drive with a 500G drive, AND copy over the data from the drive.

The instructions don't appear clear. Any help on the commands would be great.

thanks,
    jim

You should choose HR10-250 as your model, then replace with one drive. You will see a number of yes/no questions; one of them is "save or disregard recordings"....choose "save."

Comment

The link for the mfstools on the interactive upgrade site appears down or bad.

Thought you should know..

Regards,
      Jim

Comment

Thanks for the note - which link is it? The ones I'm trying work . . .
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

It was the other iso from tyger.org.

I think I was selecting the wrong way to do it.

I'm going to take my original stock hr10-250 250g and replace it with a 500g seagate. I have data & programming stored on the drive.

I have created the weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso no problem. I am wondering, when you do the mfs command line, does it autocreate the destination partition size to 500g?

I am a stuck on the command line string to use.. I am going to:

Boot from CD = primary master
          original tivo hr10-250 (single 250g) = secondary master
          new seagate 500g (replacement) upgrade drive = secondary slave

Any help would be appreciated.. I will be REPLACING the 250g stock with the 500g, making a 500g SINGLE drive operation.

Comment

Please post the command line that the instructions gave you - then we can confirm it for that situation. But, yes, the "x" in the command line creates the partition at max size for the drive.

Comment

Here are the upgrade instructions the site gave me:
              =======================================

TiVo Replace Upgrade Instructions for your HR10-250:

Support: Use our new dedicated forum for all questions!

For color pictures of the TiVo hardware removal and installation, see the WeaKnees.com TiVo Upgrade Kit Instructions.

WeaKnees recommends using only DVR-specific hard drives in your TiVo. More information is here and bare drives are here.

First, you need to prepare the boot media:

Download the Boot CD image of MFSTool 2.0 here with WeaKnees Large Kernel Support:

http://www.weaknees.com/weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso

Burn the CD using any basic CD-burning software package (Adaptec Easy CD Creator works well, as does Nero). Burn as a '.iso' image. If you have difficulties, use data mode 1, block size 2048. If you have trouble booting from the CD, you may need to adjust your PCs BIOS boot options to ‘Boot from CD.’

You'll need these parts:

A Torx T-10 and a Torx T-15 L-Key or Screwdriver.
              (available in the TiVo Parts Bin at WeaKnees.com)
              Then you'll open your TiVo and remove the existing drive(s):

Open the TiVo

Unplug the power cord from the TiVo and wait five minutes for the TiVo to discharge. Do not plug the TiVo back in until you are completely finished. Be very careful of static electricity, which can destroy your TiVo’s internal parts. You shouldn’t perform this upgrade on carpet.

Using a Torx T10 screwdriver, unscrew the five Torx screws on the back of your TiVo. The five screws are surrounded by silver or black from the top of the TiVo’s case. Once the five screws are removed, remove the lid by pushing it back about 1/2 of an inch toward the back of the TiVo and then lift the lid up and off. Disconnect the drive bay.

Disconnect the existing drive bay.

With the cover off and looking to the front-right of the TiVo, you will be able to see (A) one hard drive, (B) a gray IDE ribbon cable that runs from the greenish motherboard to the hard drive, and (C) a multi-colored (red, black, yellow) drive power cable that runs from the power supply to the hard drive.

Remove the power cable and gray IDE ribbon cable from the hard drive. Also, remove the ribbon cable from the motherboard. You may not re-use this cable, but you should keep it either way. WARNING: When removing the power cable and IDE cable from the hard drive, be very careful not to jar or dislodge the front panel ribbon cable running from the front of the TiVo to the motherboard. If you power-up with this cable even partially dislodged, you can permanently damage your TiVo.

Using your Torx screwdriver, unscrew and remove the two bracket screws that connect the hard drive bracket to the lower bracket (part of the bottom of the unit). These screws are located at the front-right of the TiVo. As you look down into the TiVo, you will see the two screw heads. Once the screws are removed, you will be able to slide the drive and bracket toward the power supply and up and out of the TiVo.

Remove the existing drive from the drive bracket.

Once the hard drive and bracket are out of the TiVo, unscrew the four Torx drive screws that connect the hard drive to the hard drive bracket.

Connect your TiVo Drive(s) to your PC

Open your PC and connect the drive you removed to an open IDE port, either the primary slave, secondary master or secondary slave. If you have a CD-ROM drive, you must keep that connected if you intend to use a bootable CD. If your TiVo had two factory drives, then you must connect both drives to your PC using two available IDE ports.

You'll also need to connect your new drive(s) to open IDE port(s). We recommend using secondary slave if you only need to connect one drive (hdd). If you are connecting two new drives, we recommend using both connectors on the secondary IDE bus. If you need to connect two new drives, plus your TiVo's boot drive, plus the CD-ROM drive, you may have to disconnect your PC's C drive (primary master).

SPECIAL NOTE about nomenclature: These instructions use the following terminology when referencing the location of a drive in a PC. In "hdX" or "hdY," the X and Y are variables and refer to either a, b, c or d, depending on where the applicable drive is actually installed.

All instructions assume the location of your c: drive (when used) to be in the primary master, or hda, location.

Location on IDE chain Actual command to be typed in lieu of hdX, hdY, hdZ, and hdZZ
              Primary Master hda
              Primary Slave hdb
              Secondary Master hdc
              Secondary Slave hdd
              Substitute in Linux commands Drive Description
              hdX Original TiVo drive
              hdY Second Original TiVo drive (two-drive units only)
              hdZ Target (New) TiVo drive
              hdZZ Second Target (New) TiVo drive (two-drive upgrades only)
              hdW FAT PC drive (almost always 'hda')

Set the drive jumpers

When installing your TiVo drive in a PC, be sure to confirm that the jumper settings of your drive correspond to "master" or "slave" depending on the location in the PC (hdb, hdc or hdd) in which you plan to connect the TiVo factory drive (or drives if your TiVo has two factory drives). Note that many TiVo factory drives come preset as "cable select," so you will need to either change that setting to master/slave as appropriate.

Boot the PC from the Linux media that you marked "Weaknees CD"

Verify Drive Sizes

Press <shift><pageup> repeatedly and you will be able to scroll to see, among other things, whether the PC recognized your hard drive(s). It is critical at this stage to verify that the full size of your TiVo drive was recognized. As you scroll up, you should see something like the following:

hda: XXX, ATA DISK drive
              hdb: IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM 48X, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
              hdc: QUANTUM FIREBALL CX13.6A, ATA DISK drive
              ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
              hda: ______ sectors (YYY MB) w/ZZZ KiB Cache, CHS=1111/222/33, UDMA(33)
              hdb: ATAPI 17X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)
              hdc: 26760384 sectors (13701 mb) w/418KiB Cache, CHS=1665/255/63 UDMA(33)

(Note: XXX, ____, YYY, ZZZ, 1111, 222, 33 will all vary, as will the size of your drive at hda, hdb, hdc and hdd.)

When looking at the data reported, you are looking to confirm that each of your IDE drives was recognized and that the size of the drive is reported properly. For example, if you have an SVR-2000 TiVo, you have a 30gb drive and it should be recognized as (give or take) 30000 mb.

If you see a drive larger than 120 GB reported as 137 GB, you aren't booted from the Weaknees CD, which is what you need at this stage. Swap it out and reboot and check again.
              Boot the PC from the Linux media

Verify Drive Sizes

Press <shift><pageup> repeatedly and you will be able to scroll to see, among other things, whether the PC recognized your hard drive(s). It is critical at this stage to verify that the full size of your TiVo drive was recognized. As you scroll up, you should see something like the following:

hda: XXX, ATA DISK drive
              hdb: IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM 48X, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
              hdc: QUANTUM FIREBALL CX13.6A, ATA DISK drive
              ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
              hda: ______ sectors (YYY MB) w/ZZZ KiB Cache, CHS=1111/222/33, UDMA(33)
              hdb: ATAPI 17X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)
              hdc: 26760384 sectors (13701 mb) w/418KiB Cache, CHS=1665/255/63 UDMA(33)

(Note: XXX, ____, YYY, ZZZ, 1111, 222, 33 will all vary, as will the size of your drive at hda, hdb, hdc and hdd.)

When looking at the data reported, you are looking to confirm that each of your IDE drives was recognized and that the size of the drive is reported properly. For example, if you have an SVR-2000 TiVo, you have a 30gb drive and it should be recognized as (give or take) 30000 mb.

If one or more of your TiVo drives is being reported as an unexpectedly small number (eg. 9mb or 10mb), then your drive is locked and you must follow the instructions below.

Unlock Drive (if necessary)

If one or more of your drives is not being reported properly, then you will have to power down (CTRL-ALT-DELETE).

Download DISKUTIL.EXE. Save the file onto a bootable DOS floppy disk. With your TiVo drive(s) connected, boot the floppy. At the DOS prompt, type:

diskutil /PermUnlock 2

The parameter here is case sensitive. The 2 refers to the Secondary Master drive. If you are using Secondary Slave, use a 3 instead. Power down the machine.

Immediately put your boot CD or boot floppy in the appropriate drive.

Again review the output to be confirm that the drive size is being reported properly.

Hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE, wait for the shutdown sequence to finish, and power down your PC.

Issue backup and restore commands

Attach both the old and new drive(s) to your PC and boot.

Then:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdX (/dev/hdY) | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdZ (/dev/hdZZ)

Parentheticals are for two drive to two drive or one drive to two drive situations. Replace X, Y, Z, and ZZ with the actual drive identifiers, and remove either the entire parenthetical for one drive to one drive, or the parentheses themselves for other configurations as appropriate. Don't miss the "-" on each part of the equation. The pipe character - "|" - is made by typing shift-backslash.

This process will take much time depending on the sizes of the original drives. At the end, you'll see wording indicating the size of the new drive(s) in hours for the newest Series 2 standalone units - your unit may differ.

Verify the Jumpers

Make sure the drive is set as Master after removing it from your PC.

Install drive onto bracket with the four T-15 screws. Connect the IDE/power cables to the drive on the bracket.

Attach your new drive onto the TiVo's factory bracket (making sure to orient the drive in the proper direction), and attach the drive/bracket combination into the TiVo using the two screws you removed previously and the two pegs that the TiVo came off near the power supply.

Re-attach the TiVo lid

Kneel down in front of your TiVo as you did when you removed the lid. Place the TiVo lid back over the TiVo. Align the clips on each side of the lid so that they clip down on the sides of your TiVo. Slide the lid toward you while simultaneously pushing down on the top of the lid. Once the lid is in place, reattach the five Torx screws.

Finished

You are done! Power the TiVo back up and go to TiVo Central -> TiVo Messages and Setup -> System Information to see the increased capacity.

Comment

Ok, got everything hooked up. I ended up changing the primary / master combinations. I figured this would be faster on seperate channels...

Boot CD = Secondary Master
                New 500G = secondary save (hdd)
                old stock 256g = primary master (hda)

Did the following command:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

Get the following: scanning source drive, please wait a moment.

Then get the following error codes:

hda: read_intr: status=0x59 {driveready seekcomplete Data request error}
                hda: read_intr: error=0x40 {uncorrectable error} labsec=279421256, high=16, low=1985800, sector=270421248
                End Request: i/o error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 2704212

Then it says source = 281 hours

Then it starts doing the process of backing up and restoring, it's now 4% complete.

Comment

Let it go and see - you already have errors so you may not make it, but it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work, you should try it without recordings to see if you can at least get the OS and settings copied over.

Comment

Went to bed last night, and the tivo was 90% done. Woke up this morning, and it was done, approx 36 hours +/- minus to run. Powered off the PC and left for work all day today.

Came home, tried installing the drive. I set the Seagate to "CS" (cable select). I got as far as "Powering up...". After 20 minutes I thought, ok, the copy didn't work, now what?

For grins, I changed the drive to MASTER. Wholla, booted right up and worked fine. All my programming was there, season passes, etc. I forced a "telephone call to dvr service" all worked fine. Checked the system information, 63 hours HD/425 hours SD.

Looks like so far it's working as it should. Cannot explain the slow copy process, but I'll keep it running over the next couple of days and keep an eye open.

I did notice that the Seagate does emit a low hum when running, not too loud, but should be ok.

Thanks for ALL your help. Very MUCH appreciated!

Comment

Glad to hear it! If the cable is in backwards, then you need to force the drive to Master, so that may be the issue.

The slow copy could have been DMA issues, but it's done now.

We do recommend DVR specific drives, which have less noise than desktop drives.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                        Glad to hear it! If the cable is in backwards, then you need to force the drive to Master, so that may be the issue.

The slow copy could have been DMA issues, but it's done now.

We do recommend DVR specific drives, which have less noise than desktop drives.
                        Particularly, the Seagate 500GB retails, offers a 5-year replacement, plus the $149.99 with no rebate made things pretty painless. I'll check the prices on the DVR specific drives.

Comment

Working...
                        X