Faulty Source Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty Source Drive

I am trying to bring back to life my RCA-DVR40 which was replaced about a year ago with a DirecTV DVR-R10 since the DVR40 took a dive.

To the point.. I have an extra 300GB Drive sitting here I figured I'd dump the old 40GB DVR40 to a new drive and see if I can't resurrect the beast for another DVR in the house. Booted up the interactive mode, started the dump and got intermittent errors when copying. I'd say a good 10-15% of the copy was errors.

Booted the DVR40 and it started initializing, then went to the green screen, "Severe error has occurred, plug in phone and let sit for 3 hours." So I'm at that point now, seeing if it may be possible to have DTV resurrect it via their phone home method.

If not, what are my options? I'm assuming base images aren't available online due to copyright.. and I'm going to guess I can't clone my R10 drive and use it in a DVR40, can I? That right now sounds like the best option, but if they aren't compatible across the platforms, it's not going to help, so I guess my only final option would be to send it in to Weaknees and have a init made on the new drive? Am I correct in these assumptions or is there something else I can try?

Correct that you can't use the R10 image on your DVR40. But if you wanted to send your working 300gb drive to us for formatting, here's a link to use:

http://www.weaknees.com/misc.php
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Problem solved. I purchased a copy of the Network tools and the Cake program from that other DVR company (can't remember the name.) Best $20 for the disc, worked like a champ and my TIVO was back up in matter of 10 minutes. Hardest part was re-activation because this was an old unit so I had to call DirecTV to remove a reciever and add the DVR40.

Now time to play with networking! Although, looks like I'll need to replace my R10 first so I can network between the 2... which the R10 seems not to support.

Comment

Nice work!
        That's all there is to it!

Comment

Working...
        X