Tivo & Comcast digital adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo & Comcast digital adapter

I have two Tivos--an S3 and an S2 dual tuner, both connected to Comcast cable. Comcast has informed me that they are going to rearrange their digital channels and that I will need a digital transport adapter (DTA) for my TV, but I will not need anything for either of the Tivos. In contrast, the TIVO website says I won't need anything for the S3, but I will need an adapter for the S2. Who is right??? I need to order these adapters from Comcast within the next two weeks. Thank you for any help you can give.

I can't see how the S2 unit wouldn't need a cable box in the scenario; it has no digital tuner. I think TiVo's pretty much the right ones here - and they have a lot more experience in this situation.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you. I tried Tivo numerous times and can't get in because they are currently burried in some telephone number change issues for downloading TV program information. Your comments about a non-digital tuner makes sense to me also.

Comment

I just got a DTA box.

Went to Comcast web page and order a Digital Transport Adapter and it came in about 5 days with UPS.

It has 2 coax in and out. I hooked it up to my TV 1st to get it going. Go to Comcast web page and put in the "Unique Customer ID" that came with it. When it 1st on the TV it says to call Comcast and list a phone number. But can go to there web page to do it. After about 2 min. The TV came on with video. It looks good like a digital box.

I hooked it on my TiVo S2 then with the Infor-red LED's to it. Went to set up and I did set up 2 times all ready. It don't know that digital channels good at all. It can swich to some but it can't to other it list in TiVo. In set up can only tell it a cable box and I said it's a Motorola one. It has Comcast name on it but by Motoroa.

The TiVo guide I can not get set right. I used the remote with the DTA "Digital Transport Adapter" and did Channel up form 2 and typed the letters the DTA box shows on TV for a little. Here is my list for the Comcast here.

2 WJBK
        4 WDIV
        6 WTVS
        7 WXYZ
        10 QVC
        12 GA
        13 WKBD
        14 WWJ
        15 HSN
        18 COMTV
        19 EDUC
        23 WADL
        24 WGTE
        29 TBS
        30 TWC
        31 TNT
        32 FSN
        33 SPEED
        34 GOLF
        35 ESPN
        36 ESPN2
        37 CNN
        38 HN
        39 CNBC
        40 FNC
        41 MSNBC
        42 DSC
        43 HIST
        44 BRAVO
        45 A&E
        46 AMC
        47 TRAVL
        48 HGTV
        49 FOOD
        50 FX
        51 USA
        52 LIFE
        53 FAM
        54 SCIFI
        55 COM
        56 E!
        57 DIS
        58 TOON
        59 NIK
        60 SPIKE
        61 GAC
        62 BET
        63 VH1
        64 MTV
        65 BIG10
        66 TCM
        67 AMIMP
        69 TVLND
        70 TLC
        71 VS.
        72 truTV
        90 LEASED
        95 WGN
        96 CSPAN
        99 CBET
        100 TVGN
        104 C-SPAN 2
        119 LMN
        137 HLMRK
        147 GAC
        287 WTVS2
        288 WTVS3
        294 THIS
        295 Univers
        297 RTN 2
        385 SNBC
        392 TBN
        393 EWTN
        397 WLPC-LP
        398 CTND
        399 WDWO
        715 BIG10
        900 CTV
        901 FS+
        902 EDUC
        915 GA
        916 COMTV
        1000 Southea
        I just can't get TiVo to know and go to just them channels.

Any one know how? I guess in set up and maybe they have it so you can pick a DTA box?

-Raymond Day

Comment

Maybe this will work now.

Went to the set up a 3RD time. This time for the cable box I picked other and it had a Digital Transport Adapter. I think it said Comcast too. I picked that. It tested changing the channels and did not about 3 times but did about 5 times right till it know it had it right. It's doing it's set up right now. I think it's going to work with the right guide on TiVo this time.

I told it 000 enter for the channles changing.

-Raymond Day

Comment

It seems to be set up good now.

After I picked "other" and Digital Transport Adapter from the list of cable boxes. The Guide list was all most right.

I went in the channel editor part and deleted a lot of the higher channels.

Some I get that TiVo did not add and if it don't know them you can't add them. But it was only about 2 or 3. I took away about 50 it seems like that TiVo guide said I had.

Tested changed to a lot of channels and it's working very good now.

-Raymond Day

Comment

Thanks for the posts.

My understanding here is that you'll only get very basic channels with a DTA - no premium ones, and not even most of the ones in your list. Are you actually seeing those if you manually enter the number on the TiVo remote?

I'm assuming the TiVo guide just omits the premium channels because it assumes that you don't have them since you have a DTA rather than an STB.

Comment

That list I the TiVo gets about 95% of it and works. It's just that it's guide don't have some of them.

The TiVo guide showed a lot more then what the Digital Adapter has. I guess because I don't have "Digital Classic" just "Digital Starter" I guess TiVo thought I had "Digital Classic" that adds more channels. 101 - 687.

-Raymond Day

Comment

DTA Comcast

So if I have a Series 2 and get a Comcast Digital Adapter I'll get all those channels?

Also, Michael, I saw that the Comcast Digital Adapter has a plug marked "IR In" on the back. Is that a control port that the Series 2 is able to connect to some how?

Thanks

Comment

I don't know if you can control it with an IR cable, but you can try.

My guess is that you'll get a different mix of channels, unless you're located very, very close to the other poster.

Comment

Having heard nothing in a week, and having found Jeff's suggestion, I decided today to give it a try, even though my case did not involve repeated restarts. I followed the steps precisely. After finishing Guided Setup on pure analog cable, there was ch. 12 again, as usual, since it is a feature of extended basic. I reseated CableCard 1. It authorized. I checked channels; all same as before. Reseated 2. It authorized. Tested channels, same as before: no 12, 704, or 705. Ran Guided Setup again, had breakfast.

Comment

Working...
                      X