This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WK-Jason View Post
    Mezzo and boarding_gator, have you tried power supply replacements? That's my guess on your most likely solution.

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Thanks for the reply. I've been suspecting a power supply problem, but was hoping for some confirmation before ordering one. I guess I'll give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jason View Post
      Mezzo and boarding_gator, have you tried power supply replacements? That's my guess on your most likely solution.

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php
      =============

Yes, I received a new power supply from weaknees on Friday. Results with new power supply not good. Same symptoms. Any thoughts?

I also ordered the ribbon cable, but it was not the right one for this unit. Thenew one was much narrower than what was required.
      Last edited by mezzo; 07-23-2007, 08:11 AM. Reason: Add comment

Comment

Originally posted by mezzo View Post
        Results with new power supply not good. Same symptoms. Any thoughts?
        That's disappointing. I think the unit could be beyond economic repair. You should contact us via email or phone and arrange to return your power supply.
        That's all there is to it!

Comment

Power Supply HR10-250

I have an HR10-250 that will only get the "Welcome. Powering up..." screen.

I assumed it was the hard drive, pulled it and run diagnostics on it. Turned out to be fine. Put it back into the TiVo, and plugged it in, and realized the hard drive is not spinning up.

So, sounds to me like a power supply issue. I would be happy to purchase a new one from weakness, assuming it is going to fix the issue. So, to make sure it really is the power supply, can I try either of these two things:

1) Can I plug the power supply of the hard drive into a computer, while keeping the data cable plugged into the Tivo? thought being that this would spin the harddrive up. Or, with the different grounds cause an issue?

2) Could I pull a PS from an old T-60 I have lying around to test? I am assuming not, but thought I would at least ask.

Thanks!

Comment

The problem is that a TiVo power supply provides power to the motherboard and the drive separately. You can try getting power to the drive from an external source and seeing if that solves the problem. Just be careful--the power supply in a TiVo CANNOT be touched while the TiVo is plugged in.

Comment

Originally posted by bayers63 View Post
              Good news! I got my hard drive back, and the unit is working again. I'm not going to get too excited, it worked for 4-5 days the first time. Anyway, I feel whole again!

well, I made it just over a month, and my Tivo just took a crap again. Same symptoms, welcome powering up screen, and/or no signal. The last time I sent the hard drive I had just bought in and they re-imaged it, I got it back and it worked fine for over a month. Where do I turn from here? Is it too late to return the drive yet again? Last time I was told that the drive tested OK, but then I got it back and it ran fine for over a month after it was re-imaged. I do also have a brand new power supply I bought last month and installed that to no avail.
              Last edited by bayers63; 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Series 2 - Power supply maybe?

Series 2 . TCD240040. At first a powering up screen was displayed for a long time with a single green light on the front. Now, no lights on the front, fan appears to be spinning and only audio coming to TV.

Unit is about 3 years old.

Does this sound like a power supply or hard drive issue?

Thanks

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                  I suspect a power supply problem on a HR10-250 but would like to know for sure before ordering a replacement. The system froze and wouldn't accept remote or front button input. I pulled power and restarted. The system comes up with the "Welcome. Powering up..." message but goes no farther. The hard drive will boot in someone else's machine. The fan runs and I have front panel lights. Occasionally the record light will come on for a few seconds and then the welcome screen will blink off and back on. I also tried running a molex from a PC to power the hard drive but still nothing after the welcome. Are there any voltages I can check or anything else that I can look at? Thanks for the help.

GH
                  I didn't see any closure on this issue and I'm experiencing the same thing. Initially I suspected I had a drive problem. I purchased a new drive and an Instant cake image. This didn't resolve the problem. Things generally freeze on the "Welcome. Powering up . . ." screen. I spent a bunch of time trying all sorts of things to get it to power up. I'm not an electronics wiz, but it almost seems like some type of a ground loop/fault issue as I could repeatedly (at least for a period of time) get it to startup up by touching the case (cover removed) along the side near the power supply. I was very careful to to move the unit (in an attempt to rule out a loose/bad connection issue) during my trials. It's one of the flakiest things I've seen.

Comment

Possible cause?

I messed around with things some more and it appears that the problem may not be anything so sophisticated sounding as a grounding problem. I found that when the unit isn't working properly, I simply need to apply a little pressure to the back of the case where the HDMI port is. If I apply pressure to the inside of the case, the unit stops functioning. I apply the pressure to the back of the case, things start working again. I suspect 2 1/2 years of the HDMI cable getting pulled in various directions may have broken the connection. Unfortunately the connection is loaded up with the white insulating stuff so I can't see what the nature of the problem is (is the HDMI card socketed???).

Does this seem like it could be the actual cause of my problems? Also, any insight on how the HDMI card actually connects to the motherboard would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

We haven't seen "Welcome, Powering Up" be related to HDMI issues, but we've certainly seen a lot of HDMI issues with these units, so anything is possible.
                      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                        We haven't seen "Welcome, Powering Up" be related to HDMI issues, but we've certainly seen a lot of HDMI issues with these units, so anything is possible.
                        I'm 99% certain my problem was (is) a bad connection between the HDMI card and the motherboard. Any insight as to what type of connection exists between the HDMI card the the motherboard? In my unit, it's pretty much covered up with the insulating goop. Also, can the HDMI card be removed altogether and the unit still function?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Shemp View Post
                          In my unit, it's pretty much covered up with the insulating goop. Also, can the HDMI card be removed altogether and the unit still function?

Thanks!
                          The factory does not install "insulating goop" around the HDMI connector, so far as we have seen. Did you buy the unit used or have someone else work on it? The HDMI card unscrews from the back and then pulls right out, just like you'd pull out a PCI card from a PC. In fact, we sell replacement TiVo HDMI cards for the HR10-250 that can be self-installed.

The unit does typically work without the card.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
                            The factory does not install "insulating goop" around the HDMI connector, so far as we have seen. Did you buy the unit used or have someone else work on it? The HDMI card unscrews from the back and then pulls right out, just like you'd pull out a PCI card from a PC. In fact, we sell replacement TiVo HDMI cards for the HR10-250 that can be self-installed.

The unit does typically work without the card.
                            The unit came from DirecTV a little over 2 years ago. It was a warranty replacement for an HR10-250 that died after 6 months. The "insulating goop" is present in many places on the motherboard, but is especially heavy surrounding the connection between the HDMI card and the motherboard. I guess this could have been done when the unit was refurbished before I got it (the mfg date is something like September/October '04).

Thanks for the information. If the thing gives me any trouble in the future, I'll probably try pulling the card and try running without it (I've switched over to component video).

Comment

We haven't seen a lot of it on the motherboard, as Jeff said, but we do frequently see it on power supplies.
                              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I have a Humax DRT-800 that is intermittently going to blue screen (I think that is a function of the TV when it is not getting a signal) and both the HDD and DVD lights on the front of the box begin to flash red rapidly. There is no response to the remote at that point and the only thing I can do is unplug the box and, if I wait long enough to plug it back in, it will reboot and everything will be fine for a while. Does this sound like a power supply issue or a hard drive problem? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X