Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External Storage missing/GSOD - ANY way to retrieve data ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Storage missing/GSOD - ANY way to retrieve data ?

So about a week ago my 2.5 year old TiVo series 2 w/40G and add on 160G both Maxtor(from WeaKnees ~ 1.5 yrs old) decided to go into a boot loop. I called TiVo and they said dead drive with only minimal testing and trying things. I did some poking around (ok A LOT of poking around) on the web and found there are tools that maybe could fix this.

I tried the Kickstart 57, KS52, KS56, and KS58 - 57 and 58 got me into a GSOD. 52 and 56 didn't seem to do anything. I got a new HD 160G locally cause I figured I was going to have to replace the 40G drive which was reporting errors that were found after using the Seatools repair tool. BTW it said the errors were fixed, but I don't believe it. I also tested the 160G HD but it was error free.

After the repair I put the HD back into the TiVo and plugged everything back in - now the error it reports is that the External storage is missing and can't work w/out it.

So I tried to do a copy to a the new drive using the Hindsdale how-to guide (http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html) and mfslive boot CD with the parameters: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=1024k - i got errors back and no farther along <sigh>

Last ditch effort was to do a KS 1 (emerg call to tivo) which did something cause after I ran the KS58 it said it was getting a service update, but now I'm just stuck power cycling from Welcome -> Almost there -> GSOD and back again.

All cables and connections are solid, I must have checked them a dozen or more times to be sure....

My question I guess is: what else can I do to debug this ?
    Am I going to loose all my recordings ?
    Is there ANY way to recover them at this point, or should I just use the drive for target practice ?
    Have I done everything I can to save my data(recordings) or is there some other magic option ?
    Could it be the power supply ?

If I run the repair tool on the drive again I can get back to my Ext Storage missing screen and press clear to I assume Divorce the drive = loosing my unwatched recoded shows

I feel like I've tried everything and nothing wants to work <grumble>

Sorry if this is a repeat post. I've done so much internet searching on this issue my eyes are starting to cross and welcome pointers to any sites that might be similar to this issue that offer up more solutions.

Thanks ~~
Working...
X