Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba RS-TX20 won’t complete power up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toshiba RS-TX20 won’t complete power up.

I have a Toshiba RS-TX20 that quit powering up. It gets to the “Just a few more minutes screen” and then starts over. You can hear the hard drive clicking. To mean it sounds like the hard drive is stuck. Can I put any 3.5 Sata hard drive in or does it have to be a special one?

You need the right drive with the right OS on it. We have them here:

https://www.weaknees.com/tx20.php

Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      You need the right drive with the right OS on it. We have them here:

https://www.weaknees.com/tx20.php
      Wow, those are really expensive for an old almost obsolete machine! So it has to be a special hard drive from here? I couldn't just buy a Western Digital hard drive for $40 and download the Tivo operating system?

Comment

If you can find the right image and the right drive, maybe you can, but I don't think either is easy to find at this point.

Comment

Will this TiVo even be able to be used even if I buy the hard drive and install it. It went out about 11 years ago. It was my Dad’s and he had a lifetime subscription but when it went out his cable company was offering free a DVR so he didn’t buy another TIVO and I don’t know if I can even access or remember any of his subscription details. Do you still need a landline for set up? Although we always had a subscription, it used to be able to be used without one. Is that still the case? Will a TIVO series 2 record HD or only standard definition? This TIVO was purchased in 2005.

Comment

It should still have service if it did back then, but you might want to call TiVo to check if it has been that long.

You do need ethernet or wifi now to set it up. There is no more dial-in.

And be aware that it is only SD, so usefulness is limited.

Comment

If they can’t find the service contract, can it still be used without one or do you now need a service contract to use it? I remember when we first got it, it could be used with no contract but you could only record manually or program it for only few days in advance recording.

Comment

At this point, with a unit that old, I really just don't know. You'd have to try it or ask TiVo.

Comment

Working...
                X