X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebmsjml
    replied
    Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
    Yup - the PS can work just before the receiver. Just make sure you are on a red splitter leg.
    thanks ....................

Leave a comment:

• WK-Michael
    replied
    Yup - the PS can work just before the receiver. Just make sure you are on a red splitter leg.

Leave a comment:

• ebmsjml
    replied
    I don't really get it - if you're keeping the cable modem outside the system, why do you even need diplexers? Are you running OTA?

question is the new placement of the ps & if the cable will work at the tv's with ps there ... i think ok .... but read that post again ....just the modem will have its on line

Leave a comment:

• WK-Michael
    replied
    I don't really get it - if you're keeping the cable modem outside the system, why do you even need diplexers? Are you running OTA?

Leave a comment:

• ebmsjml
    replied
    Thanks for coming to the forums!

We're all happy to help with any SWM issues in this forum. We've had a lot of experience using these switches, and we're up for the challenge of helping in any situation we can.

Our sales and information page is here:

WeaKnees Single Wire Multiswitch Page

In addition, if you're looking for more information, you might find some here:

SWM Information

http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/swm-with-diplexer.jpg

need to ask something ... on the above page need to do 3 dvr ... need cable at each... have cable modem but not thru system (dont know freqs)... will have own line outside of system...

switch needs to be in a remote location (no power) but all line runs terminate at switch including cable...

would like cable in switch & power supply at recvr 1 .......

basicly moving ps on other side of splitter...

i know it would work without diplexers... but never tried it with cable & diplexers

thanks

Leave a comment:

• WK-Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilson95005 View Post
    Michael: I have two pretty new DirecTV receivers with a Slimline 5S dish. One receiver has a DVR and the SWM box, the other has a problem. All was working fine until we had a power outage a few weeks ago, after which there was a satellite signal not found message. When I try to Repeat satellite setup, I get SWM not detected. I unplugged the SWM box which is attached to the other receiver until the light went off, then replugged, with no results.

The interesting thing is that in fooling around with the receiver a few weeks ago (and every time since when the power goes off briefly), I was able to get the TV working by going into the Repeat satellite setup section. Instead of being grayed out, as it is now, the Switch type field let me switch from "SWM" (which was highlighted) to "Multiswitch". When I did so, and proceeded with the setup, I got a message something like No satellite signal or no SWM detected - I don't remember what exactly - but then it started downloading the guide and completed it and then the TV worked fine! In trying to avoid having to go through that nonsense every time we have a power outage (which is common here), I clicked on Restore settings in the Satellite setup menu, after which I no longer have the "Multiswitch" option, and the unit remains dead.

I have a DirecTV technician coming out in a couple of days, but I'd be interested in knowing whether you'd heard of anything like this or have any further suggestions. Since I was able to get the TV working perfectly after going through my weird little fix, I believe that the cabling is okay, and probably the ?splitter at the dish area.
    Power outages can do all sorts of strange things. If you have a DIRECTV tech coming out, he/she should be able to isolate the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Wilson95005
    replied
    Michael: I have two pretty new DirecTV receivers with a Slimline 5S dish. One receiver has a DVR and the SWM box, the other has a problem. All was working fine until we had a power outage a few weeks ago, after which there was a satellite signal not found message. When I try to Repeat satellite setup, I get SWM not detected. I unplugged the SWM box which is attached to the other receiver until the light went off, then replugged, with no results.

The interesting thing is that in fooling around with the receiver a few weeks ago (and every time since when the power goes off briefly), I was able to get the TV working by going into the Repeat satellite setup section. Instead of being grayed out, as it is now, the Switch type field let me switch from "SWM" (which was highlighted) to "Multiswitch". When I did so, and proceeded with the setup, I got a message something like No satellite signal or no SWM detected - I don't remember what exactly - but then it started downloading the guide and completed it and then the TV worked fine! In trying to avoid having to go through that nonsense every time we have a power outage (which is common here), I clicked on Restore settings in the Satellite setup menu, after which I no longer have the "Multiswitch" option, and the unit remains dead.

I have a DirecTV technician coming out in a couple of days, but I'd be interested in knowing whether you'd heard of anything like this or have any further suggestions. Since I was able to get the TV working perfectly after going through my weird little fix, I believe that the cabling is okay, and probably the ?splitter at the dish area.

Leave a comment:

• WK-Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by Minnow View Post
    I have a Slimline5 Dish that was installed in January 2008. I was recently
    told , by an installer , that I would need a different LNB in order to
    use the SWM8 system. Could you please confirm if this is true? And if so,
    let me know what I need & how to install. Thanks
    That is definitely NOT true. You can use a single-wire multiswitch. Four lines from the dish connect to the SWM, see:

DIRECTV SWM

Leave a comment:

• Minnow
    replied
    I have a Slimline5 Dish that was installed in January 2008. I was recently
    told , by an installer , that I would need a different LNB in order to
    use the SWM8 system. Could you please confirm if this is true? And if so,
    let me know what I need & how to install. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• WK-Michael
    replied
    The four wires from the dish go to the SWM. Then, from SWM1, a wire can go inside the house and split into up to 8 legs to go to each receiver. Please see the wiring diagrams referenced above.

Leave a comment:

• yesrick
    replied
    Ok there are 4 connections from the satellite dish which i assume are home run to each set top box. This is where i get lost because the descriptions for the swm indicate 18 and 13 volts so where do i connect the coax cables that go to the set top box.

I assume the 4 feeds i see going to the dish are just the coax runs from the set top to the dish or is there an interface i just dont see

Leave a comment:

• WK-Jeff
    replied
    There are excellent wiring diagrams for SWMs at these two locations:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm

http://www.swm8.com

Leave a comment:

• yesrick
    replied
    I have the satellite dish on the roof. There are 4 coaxial feeds from roof to each set top box. I have more than 4 tv's and all are home run coax from basement to each room plus each run is a quard so 2 coax plus cat 5 and phone.

I want to add coax to the hd dvr so we can record 1 watch another station then also network the settop boxes of course after i connect to dish. Right now I have 2 connected via cat 5 and quality is good.

So if I add a SW8 in the attic where the feeds connect to the dish besides ac electrical powwer what else do i need to do? I do have coax runs from attic to basement where the other coax runs start then go to each room

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Rick
    Last edited by yesrick; 05-02-2010, 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• WK-Michael
    replied
    Just be clear on what they're giving you. Whatever it is, it'll likely entail a two-year commitment to them.

Leave a comment:

• bugsnbre
    replied
    Swm

Ok, I see. DirecTV says one of the benefits I get as a loyal customer are free DVR upgrades. I may have to call them on that. I'll twitter them and see what I can get.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X