Need DVR Hardware Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need DVR Hardware Advice

I have a DirecTv now (4 Hughes receivers, which I love) and would like to upgrade one to a DVR. I've done some surfing, and people clearly prefer TiVo to the DTV units. WeaKnees is also generally well-regarded.

I've looked at the phone line requirement issues, as well. I have sucky (technical term!) phones in my area that are capable of no more than a 28.8 dialup speed. That rules out normal dialup and luxuries like DSL. There's also no cable here, hence the DTV, and wireless internet is not yet available here yet.

While TiVo looks like the better unit, the phone connection is required. I'm not sure the lines can handle much in the way of software upgrades. The bigger issue, though, is that I can't tolerate anything that makes my online connection any slower than it already is. Video/audio downloads are out of the question, and I have to leave my computer for hours to do Microsoft Update and other security updates.

Much as the DTV DVR's get lousy reviews, at least they can run without the phone connection - which I have skipped with my current DTV service. I don't know if I have all the relevant information to make a decision, but I'm not sure TiVo will work for me.

I would like the ability to watch one show and record another or record 2 shows. And it looks like whatever I get, I can work out a way to record DVD's.

Anyone have some guidance for my situation??

Thanks!

Cee

Your connection speed limitations are certainly no problem for a Directv TiVo DVR. Software typically comes through the satellite, and the brief phone calls your TiVo will need to make occur at off hours and will, in no way, interrupt your connection speed.

All Directv dvrs can process two live signals at a time, so whichever route you go, you'll be able to record and switch between two concurrent broadcasts.

Get a TiVo! Even refurbished, they still rule!!

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Working...
    X