Tivo running very hot since Hard Disk upgrade Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo running very hot since Hard Disk upgrade Install

I ordered and installed a TiVo 649080 Upgrade Kit: Add one 300gb hard drive with the Advanced Cooling Pak Single Fan. The Tivo unit now runs at 51c which the Tivo system information page claims is normal but is very hot for the internal temperature of most computers. Both fans are working. Where as the Tivo is working fine and the System Information page claims this is normal, I also know that high heat will shorten the life of computer equipment faster than anything. My question is: Is this the normal temperature most peoplw see with this upgrade installed and have you seen any problems from this heat level.

Thanks in advance for the help!

51 is certainly w/in the normal range for TiVos but it wouldn't be bad to try to lower that. Usually the addition of the extra bracket fan and a second drive drops the internal temp by up to 10 degrees c.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

I'm seeing the same thing - added the second drive and the fan, now it runs at around 50 C. Did you really mean to say "*drops* the internal temp by up to 10 degrees c"?
      Having seen the inside of the box now, I can't imagine any way to improve the cooling with that large bracket and second drive installed, unless replacing the original fan with a more powerful one would have some beneficial effect.

Comment

Actually, yes, in our tests the temperature drops by up to 10 degrees C with the TwinBreeze and fan.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK, so in your tests the Tivo with bracket and fan does *not* run at around 50 C? (Or are you saying it would normally run at 60 -- I find that hard to believe.) Assuming it's the former -- what do you think we're doing wrong that ours *does* run at 50 C? I'm really concerned that the elevated temperature will impact component life.

Comment

All operating environments are different, and there is a range of "acceptable" temperatures. 51 is within the range. I would guess that your unit was running hotter than that before the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
            X