Help with switching DirecTV/Tivo hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with switching DirecTV/Tivo hardware

My 40-hour Phillips TIVO is shot. Based on what I've read here, I think the hard drive is shot. During playback of recorded shows, I have a lot of pixelation and the picture freezes pretty frequently.

I was planning to replace my hard drive through WeaKnees, but a friend of mine just gave me a Tivo-branded DirecTv DVR (R10) that he's not using anymore. He says that it's a series 2 Tivo.

Before I hook it up and start using it, I have a few questions. First of all, I've been reading some stuff that that Tivo-branded DirecTv DVRs aren't necessarily equivalent to Tivo Receivers for DirecTv. Is that true? Am I going to lose any Tivo functionality when I switch over to the R10?

Also, will switching be as simple as switching my access cards? Or am I going to have to go through Tivo (or DirecTv) to set something up (or get a new access card) in order for this new box to work?

I appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide.

Thanks.
    Tonua

The R10 is functionally identical to your previous model. The only trick might be in activating it if the R10 was leased from Directv. Units activated on 2006 or later are generally considered DTV's property and usually can't be sold between customers.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Thanks. That's very helpful! I guess I'll call DTV and find out if they'll let me use this thing.

Comment

Working...
      X