Tivo and DirecTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo and DirecTV

I have a DirecTv Hughes SD-DVR40. I came home the other night during a thunderstorm to find that the image through the DVR looked like it was underwater or melting. Occasionally is goes to a blue screen and at best all text lines appear blurry. I called Direct because I have a service plan and when the the tech came he said it appeared to be a DVR problem. Then he basically told me two things: One, he HAD to replace the TIVO unit with the the much lamented DVR unit (R15?) and two (and this is a real poison pill) when DirectTv replaces your DVR unit -- you are automatically locked in for a two year contract with Direct! He warned me that they would not tell you this but that it is the case... WOW that seems underhanded to me. I have been a loyal Directv customer for years and love it -- but why lock me in and not tell me about it? Ridiculous.

At any I have already ordered a replacement unit from Weaknees because the NFL starts soon and I can't miss it. The question I have (after venting) is this. What kind of problem could be causing the underwater/melting type picture? Can I attempt to repair it myself (as I would like to keep the DVR and use it as a second unit with my other TV (currently using a standard sat. box). Where should I start? What do I need.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
    Durham NC

Wow, Dave. That's a really weird problem. I'm not even sure where you'd begin on that one. Sounds like something could be fritzed out on the motherboard.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Thanks

Jason,

Thanks for your response. It is a weird problem and I suspect (as you do) it may be motherboard related so by all accounts I may be SOL. Sad. When my new unit comes I'm going to switch the old box to the upstairs TV and see what happens. Maybe I'll get lucky....

At any rate, I appreciate the response and if anyone else out there has had a similar problem and have any ideas I'd like to hear about it...

Dave
      Durham NC

Comment

Working...
      X