Philips DSR 7000 won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips DSR 7000 won't boot

I have been having problems lately with my unit freezing, and until today I have been able to cycle the power, reboot, and everything would be fine. Today when I tried to reboot it remains at the Welcome, Powering Up gray screen. I removed the hard drives (2 Maxtor 160GB I purchased from WeaKnees 2 years ago) and ran the Seagate SeaTools diagnostic, and both drives passed, but I still can't get my Tivo unit to start up again past the first gray screen.
    Help?

You've either got a problem with drive communication or some sort of software corruption. If you're confident that the drives are okay, you can contact us about reformatting either or both (i might suggest having them each formatted as singles). Otherwise, you might want to consider just ordering a drive replace kit:

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-philips-dsr7000.php
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Thank you very much for quick response!
      I only ran the short test, but it was indicated that was all that was necessary unless a problem was detected.
      My question is, if I send the drives to you (or do I send the entire unit?) to be re-formatted, is there any way to preserve the programming that is presently stored on them. There is quite a bit I would hate to lose, and they are at full capacity now!
      What is the procedure for sending items to you for repair?
      Thank you.

Comment

Did you want us to reformat those drives, or to try to copy the programming over to a new drive? If we reformat your drives, it really doesn't make sense to put the same programming right back there, and there's no easy way to do that.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Is there a way to test the power supply to see if it is the problem?

Comment

Generally (and this is really almost always true) if you get video out on the unit at all - even just the Powering Up screen - then your power supply is fine.

You should probably do the long test on the drives. But even drives that pass the long test do fail in TiVos at times.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X