DirecTV TiVo Freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirecTV TiVo Freezing

About four years ago, I purchased a Hughes HDVR2 that came with a 40 Gb HD. At the time, I added a second 140 Gb drive from Weaknees along with the cooling pack.

It has been rock solid until about a month ago. The unit started to freeze during shows and would get stuck at the grey powering up screen. I thought one of the drives had failed. I purchased one Seagate 300 GB from Weaknees a couple weeks ago.

The upgrade went smoothly. Everything was fine until this past week. The machine has started to freeze again during recorded and live shows. It's also freezing at the Powering Up screen. Just in time for the new fall season, too.

I don't know if it's the power supply. I haven't experienced any of the typical symptoms related to a power supply failure, accoriding to the Weaknees website. And it's attached to an APC UPS.

The software version is 6.2a-01-2-151.

Is this becoming a common problem for others? Is there anything I can do to fix this? All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

That's pretty bizarre that you're having the same problems again. Have you tried it in a different power outlet? Have you tried running it without the satellite cables connected?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Michael.

First, we disconnected the satellite input cables. We could watch recorded shows for a while. It would eventually freeze when we would do an action - such as go back 5 seconds, or rewind/forward.

We tried swapping the satellite cables between the tuners. We thought that worked and it lasted for over a day. But it froze while watching live tv - I think while changing channels. We also tried swapping the cables and using only one of the tuners. We swapped the cables for each tuner with no success.

We tried a different power outlet. It lasted for a while but it eventaully started to freeze.

It seems like it freezes when we are actively using the unit. We can watch a 2 hr movie as long as we don't make it do anything - rewind, pause, fast forward, etc.

Last Monday 9/26, we kept the TV off. TIVO recorded it's scheduled programs except one. It froze right when it started to record it's last scheduled program.

Last Thursday with all the premiers, we kept the TV off and let the TIVO record it's scheduled programs and it went off without a hitch. Luckily, the programs recorded were all on NBC and ABC so the tuners did not have to change channels.

As of yesterday, it's stuck on the Powering Up screen. Other than unplugging the unit for 15-20 seconds, are there any other ways to reset it?

At this point, what are my options?

Comment

Sorry to say, that sounds more and more like a hard drive failure. Hard to know which drive it is, but given the series of events, and then the symptom of the Powering Up screen, one of those drives is very likely bad.

You should try a replace kit to bring the unit back to life. See our Hughes HDVR2 TiVo drive kit page.

Comment

Actually, I've already done the upgrade.

I replaced the original drives 2 weeks ago with one 300Gb HD from WK. I'll be contacting support for a replacement.

Thanks for all of your help.

Comment

OK - sounds good.

Comment

Working...
            X