Tivo Freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Freezing

I have a Hughes Tivo DVR2 and I am experiencing problems with it now. I had the device for several years and I think the hard drive is failing.

The symptoms are as follows:

Snowy screen with lost of sound.
    Constant rebooting.

I have rebooted the system and formatted the hard drive, but after a couple of hours the symptoms reappear.

Do I have to change my hard drive?
    If so, can I just purchase any drive and format the drive?
    If so, how do I reinstall the operating system?

What do I have to do?
    Last edited by trini_greg; 09-30-2007, 09:27 PM.

Usually, a snowy screen is not a symptom of a bad drive. Have you tried checking your cables and perhaps moving the unit to another TV to confirm that it is not an issue of interference? The rebooting is another issue entirely--could be a drive, bad power supply or motherboard.

Comment

My cable cards were on my new Weaknees TivoHD with 750GB HD were installed on Friday. I had a complete freeze up Sunday evening. I could view the programs live and tivoed but was not able to play them. An unplug/replug/reload and all appears working OK now.

I never had anything like this occur on my S3. What would cause this and should I be concerned about a defective unit/hd upgrade or faulty cable cards, or do these freeze ups happen on an isoltated basis?

Thanks,

Stan

Comment

If it happens again, we should get it back here for testing. If it's a one-time isolated occurrence, we wouldn't worry about it too much.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          If it happens again, we should get it back here for testing. If it's a one-time isolated occurrence, we wouldn't worry about it too much.
          Thanks Michael. I will watch it closely.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
            Usually, a snowy screen is not a symptom of a bad drive. Have you tried checking your cables and perhaps moving the unit to another TV to confirm that it is not an issue of interference? The rebooting is another issue entirely--could be a drive, bad power supply or motherboard.
            Thanks for the info but now my tivo won't even boot up. When I unplug the power cable, all of the components seem to be powering up but sounds like the hard drive is not starting. I don't know if it's a drive issue or maybe a motherboard problem.

Any advice

Comment

Originally posted by trini_greg View Post
              Thanks for the info but now my tivo won't even boot up. When I unplug the power cable, all of the components seem to be powering up but sounds like the hard drive is not starting. I don't know if it's a drive issue or maybe a motherboard problem.

Any advice
              Do you have lights on the front of the unit when it is plugged in?

Comment

Working...
              X