DRT400 Locks up intermittantly at random,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRT400 Locks up intermittantly at random,

but only when the Tivo-G wireless adapter is plugged into the USB port (either of them).

When I say locks up, I mean no audio, frozen video (most often badly pixelated, but not always), ceases to respond to either the remote or front panel controls, and can only be recovered by pulling the power cord and doing a cold restart. I have tried searching the net and have found a few people who relate eerily similar stories, but no solutions. If this involved some 3rd party wireless adapter, I would just try a different adapter and press on, but the Tivo branded adapter is the one I bought just to avoid this kind of issue, silly me.

The unit has had the power supply replaced (for this issue) and had a Weak Knees 320GB upgrade drive in it for a while, then it quit booting after one of these lock up episodes and I had to put the original 40GB drive back in it. NOTE: I reported this behaviour to Weak Knees who promptly RMA'ed the drive and the replacement is due back in my hands in 2 days, even though they suspect that the unit may have killed the drive. That's most certainly what I call Customer Service!

The odd thing is, as I mentioned above, this only occurs with the wireless nic, and to a much lesser degree with the wired ethernet, & has never happened on the phone line (which, admittedly, was only connected for a few days).

Any rational ideas or suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks,

The Wyldman
    Last edited by Wyldman; 10-02-2007, 03:41 PM. Reason: enable email notification

It sure doesn't sound like a drive or power supply problem.

If you say that it is occurring with the wired and wireless adapter, then that rules out the adapter.

Given the cost of a replacement unit, it is not likely going to be an economically viable fix. See:

http://www.weaknees.com/dvd-tivo.php

If you have lifetime service, you might be able to transfer it to a replacement Humax DRT400--you should call TiVo to verify. Just keep in mind that you won't get the rebate if you transfer service.

If you have monthly service, then replacing it is an easy answer.

Comment

Working...
    X